Chapter 34

" Make haste darling!" Stephen Hydeton called out from the entryway " The Bridgerton's are expecting us at any moment!"

" I'm here papa," Jo said as she descended the stairs, dressed in a blush coloured dress ( her house) " It is not as if we don't live ten paces away from their home!"

" Ah yes, but tardiness is never an exception my dear," Stephen said, holding out his arm for Jo to take " Not to mention how much your aunt hates being late, I do not think I can go another lecture about tardiness!"

" Lady Danbury." The footman announced, and Stephan internally winced.

" How many times must I pester you about tardiness Stephan!" Lady Danbury said, as she walked into the room.

" I implore you no more sister!" Stephen rubbed a tired hand over his face as Jo giggled.

" You are lucky I am in a good mood little brother," Lady Danbury eyed Stephan " I am so glad that Simon has finally found someone to share the rest of his days with, and how I'm love they are!" She gushed as she walked over to them. Jo had to force herself not to grimace at this statement " Come let's make haste before we are even more late."

***

" Lady Danbury, The Earl of Wexstone and the Countess of Wexstone." The footman to the Bridgerton home announced.

" Welcome!" Violet Bridgerton beamed as they all walked into the foyer " Welcome! Is everyone as famished as I?" She directed at them, and also Daphne, Simon and Anthony who were all soot looking troubled at each other.

" Now, this is far too a grim a mood for the celebration I was counting on!" Lady Danbury said, eyes flicking over all of their faces.

" What's wrong?" Jo said, eyebrows furrowed.

" Anthony?" Violet urged.

" We have been denied our request for a special license." Anthony said, walking over to his mother.

" What?" Violet gasped.

" The archbishop did not see a need." Simon added, as he walked over to Jo to plant a " hello" kiss on her forehead, to which she replied with a unsure smile.

" It is not the archbishop," Lady Danbury said abruptly " It is the queen, perhaps she has taken your rejection of her nephew to heart, or perhaps she is simply bored. Either way, it does not bode well for your daughter's social future," she motioned towards Violet " Nor any of the Bridgerton's for that matter!"

" Collin!" Jo thought, as her breath inhaled sharply and her eye went slightly wide.

" Surely we must be able to do something?" Violet implored.

" Give her what she wants." Jo said, after a while of silence and her aunt nodded in her direction.

" Attention." Lady Danbury smiled.

" Go to the queen yourselves and make a personal appeal!" Jo smiled, as the idea overcame her " Surly that will sway her opinion!"

" However, she will not respond to begging," Lady Danbury added " And she can sniff out even the faintest whiff of insincerity, so do not lay it on thick! Tell her you are in love, plain and simple and true."

" You can do that, can you not?" Jo said, crossing her arms and staring down harshly and Simon and Daphne. Although she loved the both of them dearly, this was no laughing matter. Them convincing the queen to let them marry was the fine like between Daphnes reputation getting destroyed. And again, she had gotten shot over this matter! She couldn't afford to let them ruin this all.

" Good," Lady Danbury said, as the two nodded at each other " Now where is the dinner I was promised?"

" This was Lady Danbury," Violet smiled as she walked towards the dining room " And you too Stephen and Jo."

" I'll be just a moment papa." Jo whispered to her father as she patted his arm and he nodded to her in response.

" Daphne," Jo whispered and everyone else made there way to the dining room " You still wish to marry Simon do you not?"

" Well what choice do I have?" Daphne whispered back.

" Some people in life do not have a choice on who they do or don't marry," Jo looked at Daphne intensely " And not all of those reasons surround reputation, maybe simply because their family say so," They both took a pause " If you do not wish to marry Simon then we shall run away together, back to the manor in France if we have to." Daphne laughed slightly.

" I heard Paris is nice this time of year." Daphne giggled and Jo did too.

" So what say you?" Jo said " Do you not wish to marry Simon?"

" It is not the case of my not wanting to marry him that worries me Jo," Daphne said breathlessly " But it is that he does not wish to marry me."

" I do not understand." Jo's eyebrows furrowed.

" Jo he would rather die than marry me!" Daphne cried out but quickly composed herself.

" Or would he rather die than you marry him?" Jo inquired.

" Now I am the one who does not understand." Daphne said.

" Maybe it is not Simons wishes for him not to marry you, but for you not to marry him," Jo smiled " He cares for you Daphne, greatly. Maybe even loves, but there is no reason at all for him not wanting to marry you, but there may be a reason on why he does not wish for you to marry him. Has he told you anything?"

" He cannot give me children." Daphne said after a while.

" Oh Simon," Jo sighed sympathetically " Well there's your answer Daph, having a family as grand as yours has always been your dream and he knows that, just-" He held Daphnes hand in her own " Try and go into this marriage with optimism," Daphne nodded " Good, now I have a turkey that's calling my name!" The two women then laughed as made their way over into the dining room.

***

" You're worried." Collin said, as he leaned on the Bridgerton's morning rooms door as he look at Josephine chewing the inside of her cheek trying to read her book.

" Of course I am!" Jo said, closing her book " They're meeting the queen, I'd say you were mad if you were not worried!"

" Oh I am!" Collin smiled, making his way over to Jo " But I am more worried about someone else."

" Please do not say me?!" Jo raised her eyebrows.

" Why not?!" Collin said, sitting down next to her " You did get..." he looked around the room to see if there was anyone coming " Shot, 48 hours ago."

" It was only a scrape." Jo opened her book again.

" But still," Collin urged " Why I saw you laying there Jo, I-I- I thought that was it, that I'd never see you again."

" Well, let's not think about that shall we-" Jo made the motion to pat Collins arm but he caught her hand.

" Are you okay?" Collin said, engulfing her hand in his with a serious tone.

" Collin-" Jo began, but her words were failing her as she fell into the pool of his ocean blue eyes.

" Jo, are I you okay?" Collin said again, snapping her out of her trance, but still she could only manage a nod. Both began to breathing more heavily, and gravitated towards each other like they had done the night was was proposed to.

" You are asking as a family friend of course." Jo's voice came out wordlessly.

" Of course." He said back, gazing into her eyes. Footsteps then quickly made their was towards the room, and Collin wouldn't have noticed if Jo didn't jump back slightly.

" Daphne!" Jo said, and both she and Collin quickly rose from their seats " So... what did she say?" Daphnes eyes quickly scanned over the two before revealing the queens answer.