Chapter 10

Y/n's POV

I just can't believe what the three of us just experienced with that Ercole guy. I don't like him at all. But I could tell he likes me. Ugh! Why me?!

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear the girl who saved us earlier starts talking as she continues to ride away with us still sitting on the back of the cart.

"Sto imbecille thinks he can be a jerk 'cause he keeps winning the race, which he shouldn't even get to do anymore, 'cause he's too old and too much of a jerk!" The girl says out loud, making me and the boys to look back at her with a confused look.

She notices our stares and then laughs sheepishly.

"You know, we underdogs have to look out for each other, right?" The girl tells us.

"What's under the dogs?" Alberto then asks.

"Underdogs. You know, kids who are different, dressed weird, or a little sweatier than average," The girl then goes on explaining as she lifts up her arm, revealing her sweaty armpits as we get off the cart.

"Uh..." Luca says as the three of us look at her weirdly.

"Too much? Too much," The girl then says to herself. "So, are you in town for the race? The Portorosso Cup?" She then asks us.

I'm not sure what to say. I mean, the only reason we are here is to get a Vespa and get out of here. But we just have to find out how to get one. Maybe we should ask--

"Well, good talk. I gotta deliver these. Always be training, you know?" The girl then snaps me out of my thoughts as she rides off.

But as Alberto, Luca, and I were walking off, I had an idea.

"We should probably ask her about the race. That's how the ugly catfish human said he got his Vespa," I told the boys.

Without really thinking that much of it, we walk towards the direction we saw the girl ride off to. It wasn't long until we find her as she's going back to her ride with something in her hand.

"Hey, uh, Spewlia?" Alberto questions, getting the girl's attention.

"Giulia. My name is Giulia," The girl, aka Giulia, corrects Alberto.

"Okay," Alberto says as he looks at me. I then nod, signaling him to ask her. "When you race in a cup, what do you get?" Alberto asks her.

"Soldi. Prize money," Giulia tells us as she shows us the things that we in her hands.

"Oh," Alberto says as Giulia gets on her ride.

And as she was riding off, Alberto starts to walk off, but Luca stops him before he could leave.

"No, no! Keep going!" Luca whispers to him.

"What, why?" Alberto questions.

"Ask her about the prize money!" Luca then tells him as he starts to push him towards Giulia.

"But that stuff is useless," Alberto tells Luca.

"Maybe that becomes a Vespa," I then whisper to Alberto.

"How does that become a--"

"Just do it!" I then whisper to him, making him raise his hands up in defense.

"Fine, fine, fine," Alberto tells me as he then walks to Giulia.

We catch up to her as she was riding in one direction, probably going to give away more fish.

"Hello again," Alberto greets her.

"Ciao," Giulia greets him.

"Can we turn the money into something else? Something like..." Alberto starts to ask, but couldn't find the words.

"That," Luca then says as he stops in his tracks and points at something.

I look in the direction he was pointing to and saw a beautiful Vespa. I literally had stars in my eyes while looking at it.

"Pfft. No. But it could get you that," Giulia then tells us as she points to something else.

We look in the direction she was pointing to and saw another Vespa. It didn't look as good as the other one, but it was still beautiful.

I could juts imagine myself and the boys riding that things anywhere we go. And at any time.

"It's so beautiful," Luca says.

"It's so perfect," I then say.

"Yes, we need it," Alberto then says as I hear Giulia ride off to somewhere else. "Great, so we'll just win the race," Alberto then tells me and Luca.

I also heard Giulia stop riding after hearing what Alberto said.

"You'll have to beat Ercole," Giulia told us, making me look at her.

"Okay, so we'll beat Ercole," Alberto then said.

"Huh. Really? Thinks he'll beat Ercole, this guy," Giulia then said the last part quietly to herself as she gets off her ride and walks towards us. "First of all, get in line!" She then yells, making Luca and Alberto hug each other with me in between them. "Every summer, that jerk makes my life miserable. So, no one's taking him down unless it's me!"

The boys and I exchange glances as they still have their arms around me.

"Second, this isn't any old race. It's an epic, grueling, traditional Italian triathlon. Swimming, cycling, and eating pasta. So, you need a teammate," Giulia then says as the boys then put the arms down.

"Well, we'll figure it out. Thanks, human girl," Alberto thanks Giulia as he walks away and she gets on her ride, now leaving me and Luca alone.

Luca and I then run back to catch up with Alberto.

"Hey, hey, wait. Wait, Alberto. What if we join her team?" Luca asks as he grabs onto Alberto's arm.

Alberto looks like he was deep in thought. But then it looked like he had an idea.

"Hmm. Better idea," He says.

The three of us then runs back to the girl as she was riding off.

"Hey, Spew... Girl! Congratulations, you're joining out team," Alberto tells Giulia as we stop in front of her cart, only for her to scoff.

"I race alone," She tells us as she was going to ride off again, but then the wheel got stuck on the concrete floor. She tries to get it unstuck, but she couldn't.

Me, Alberto, and Luca then step in and help her out. Alberto and I go to the back of the cart while Luca holds onto the handles with Giulia. Alberto and I then push it forward while Giulia and Luca pulls.

We then get it unstuck successfully, and then look at Giulia.

"But we could be under the dogs, too," Luca says.

"Hey, it's okay, Luca. She'd rather do the whole race alone again. Maybe this time she won't throw up as much," Alberto tells Luca as he leans against the cart.

"Uh, hang on," Giulia starts to say, but then stops to look at us. She looks a if she was deep in thought, but then she finally spoke up. "You wanna be on my team, eh? Let's see what you got."

I smile at this. I have the feeling that maybe we might win this race with the amount of teamwork we have.