Chapter 17

Y/n's POV

At this current moment, me, Luca, and Alberto are in the treehouse just outside Giulia's house. It's already dark, so we were probably going to hit the hay right now.

Just as I sat down on the wooden floor, I heard Luca's voice break the silence.

"Alberto? Y/n? I think I might've seen my parents," Luca tells us.

My eyes widen after hearing him say that. "What?" I say, starting to get a little freaked out.

"No way. I told you, they're not coming here," Alberto reassured to Luca.

"But what if they did?" I then asked out loud. "If they find us, they're going to send me and Luca to the deep."

"Listen, relax. It's never gonna happen," Alberto told me.

But before anyone could say anything else, in the corner of my eye, I see Giulia go out her window and walk towards us by using the tree branch. She then sits in between me and Luca as she starts talking.

"All right, guys. Pretty good today, but let's talk technique," She tells us.

But before she could tell us anything else, I hear Signor Marcovaldo open the gate door.

"Hey, ragazzi! I need help with the nets. You. The big, strong one. Andiamo," Signor Marcovaldo says, mostly to Alberto.

"I'll be right back," Alberto tells us.

Without that much hesitation, Alberto climbs down the treehouse and follows Signor Marcovaldo to the nets. Now it only leaves me, Luca, and Giulia.

But I noticed the way his expression was when he left. It looked as if he didn't want to leave me and Luca alone. I didn't really want to think that much of it, so I just lay back on the wooden floor of the treehouse.

"Hey, we're gonna win," Giulia tells me as she and Luca lay down as well. "And you guys will get your Vespa. Why do you want a Vespa, again?"

"Oh. Because it'll be amazing. Every day, me, Y/n and Alberto are gonna ride someplace new. And every night, we'll sleep under the fish," Luca tells Giulia as he points up to the sky for the last part.

"The fish?... Good," Giulia says with a dry chuckle.

"What about you? What will you do when we win?" I then ask Giulia as I look at her.

"I'll get up in front of everyone and say, 'Told you I'd win!'" Giulia answered.

"Yeah. And then what?" Luca then asks.

"Well, that's it. Look, during school, I live with my mamma in Genova. And every summer, I come here, and everyone thinks I'm just some weird kid who doesn't belong," Giulia explains to us.

I let out a sigh and look back up at the fish in the sky. I guess we're both in the same situation.

"I think I know how you feel," Luca tells Giulia.

"Right? That's why we gotta win. The town will cheer our names. Ercole's life will be ruined!" Giulia yells out as she sits up, but then covers her mouth. "Sorry. Too much? My mom says sometimes I'm too much."

"No. Not at all," I say as I shake my head while Luca sits up, making Giulia chuckle.

She then looks up at the sky, and then looks back at us.

"You know those aren't fish, right?" Giulia tells us. I make a confused look after she said that.

"They're not? But, Alberto told us that they were," I say as I sit up.