𝒔𝒊𝒙. ruckus

chapter six
ruckus

...

Cory fiddles with my hand while we lay on our sides on his bed, facing each other.

"Do you think we'll ever get out of here?" I ask quietly, breaking the silence.

He chuckles, "Out of Ackley? No. Not to be the bearer of bad news or anything but Peyton, you are one of the most misbehaved girls in our school. You don't pay attention in class. Now, I'm not saying your not smart, cause you are. But like you ain't learning anything at the moment, and colleges are not going to accept people who did fuck all at school."

Groaning, I throw my head back in annoyance, "You're right. What about you, eh? You reckon you're going somewhere?"

He snorts as if it was stupid of me to even ask, "I'm not smart, like at all. The only thing I'm good at is sport, mainly football," He twirls a few of my rings around.

"Shit, Cory," I sigh sadly, "We aren't getting out of Ackley."

"We will most likely have to retake this year," He lets go of my hands and drops onto his back, "Nothing too bad," He smirks, "C'mere," He pats his chest and I move my head onto it slowly.

"Soppy twat," I tease quietly.

__

"Morning, Peyton."

Narrowing my eyes, I stare at Kevin, who's standing in Cory's doorway. Slowly, I sit up and my eyes scan the room for Cory but he's nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Cory?" I ask.

"Downstairs making you toast," He grumbles almost angrily, "That's your Mum's job, not his. Don't be using him as your slave just because your Mum is done with you."

My jaw drops and I stand up with my face pulled into disgust, "You use him as your slave. Hell, you even abuse Jordan. They are your kids. Don't be so fucking lazy, and do your job as a dad."

"What did you just say to me?" He steps closer and I stand my ground, not moving, my eyes glaring into his.

"I said don't be so fucking lazy." I spit, looking up at his grubby face. It happens very quickly, he slaps me and the next thing I know I'm on the floor from the impact. "What the fuck?" I yell, standing up again, holding my stinging cheek.

"What's going on?" Cory charges into the room, looking between us, eyebrows raised.

"She needs to learn some manners." Kevin snarls, jabbing his finger at me.

"Me? Me?" I scoff, throwing my arms into the air with disbelief, "You just fucking slapped me."

Cory's face drops and his head tilts as he turns his attention fully to his father, "Dad, did you?"

"No," Kev argues, the drunken slur not helping his case, "She's lying!"

My mouth hands open, sighing as I look to Cory, "He said stuff about my mum. I stood up for myself and he slapped me because he knew I was right." He slaps me again, but this time I don't fall, my head just whips to the side. With a loud shout of protest, Cory jumps forward between me and his dad, his hands slamming into his dad's chest roughly.

"Dad!" He shouts as his dad stumbles back into the wall, "What the fuck? Don't fucking touch her!"

"She's going to end up like her mother. I already know it," Kevin snarls harshly before storming out of the room, ruffling his hair.