18 : Co-op

Cory and I were taken out of lesson by Mr Quereshi because a few teachers want to talk to the two brothers.

"Why are you here again?" Mr Quereshi looks back at me while we walk down the stairs.

"Emotional support." I shrug.

"I asked her to come." Cory smiles weakly and I pat his shoulder.

We reach the bottom where Jordan and Mr Bell are waiting. The siblings death stare each other until I walk into the hallway, everyone following.

"That's all we care about." Mr Bell says as Miss Carter stands beside him, "Social service, the police - we just want to make sure that this never happens again. Alright?"

"You ready?" Miss Carter asks Jordan.

His jaw tenses, "No. I'm not doing this." He walks away and Cory grabs him, making them look at each other.

"We're doing this together." Cory soothes.

"Jordan, your dad needs to understand that this is not acceptable beha-" Mr Bell starts.

"It was Cory," Jordan blurts, "He beat me up. He's lying."

"No, Jord." I shake my head as he walks away, Cory right behind him, "Don't lie."

"Jordan!" Mr Bell shouts.

Cory looks back at me as Jordan starts to walk quicker. I smile at the teachers before racing off to help.

"Jordan!" I yell.

"Please, Jordan. Let us help!" Cory sighs.

"No!" Jordan growls, "Fuck off. The both of ya." He sprints off, jumping on his bike and leaving quickly.

"Fucks sake." Cory swears and punches the fence beside us.

"Woah, woah, woah. Cory, calm down. We'll sort something and if we don't, Mr Bell will."

Cory runs a hand though his hair, "That's not enough. I'm his brother, I should be doing something. Not you and definitely not Mr Bell."

"Cory-" My phone rings and he nods, saying that I can pick it up and finish our conversation afterwards.

"Peyton. Mum's seen the rent letters. For once in her life she's fucking sober. She is also mad about how we didn't tell her. Get your ugly ass home NOW."

I furrow my eyebrows, "What? Why is she sober?"

"She's ran out of beer and she can't be arsed to go out and get more drinks and cigs."

"PEYTON? IS THAT YOU?" I hear her yell from somewhere in the house.

"Mum. Mum. Mum, stop yelling. She'll be here in a minute - won't you Peyton?"

"Yes. Uh, yeah, Mum. I'll be right over." I mutter before hanging up.

"Who were that?" Cory asks.

"Jacob."

"Saying..."

"Mum's sober and she's found something she doesn't like, he needs my help. Will you be okay?"

"What has she found?"

"Bills." I mumble.

"Bills?"

"Yeah. Rent and electricity bills." I clear my throat, "I really gotta go. So, I'll see you tomorrow. Try talk to Jordan."

"Wait, what? Rent?" He shouts as I walk away. I just wave back at him, pretending I can't hear him.