19 : Running

"Oi." Cory nudges me.

We're sat in science with Mr Hyatt, learning about cow hearts. I'm extremely tired because I woke up way too early because Mum had brought friends round at 4am. I had to quickly get rid of them all before explaining to her that she now had a job.

I rub my eyes, turning to him, "Yes?"

"What did you mean yesterday when you said that your Mum had found the bills?"

"Oh, nothing. We just had rent to pay, it's sorted now."

"Are you sure because your under eye bags suggest other wise."

I smack his arm, "I'm tired, yes. But only because I couldn't my sleep through the rain."

"I thought you loved rain."

He's right. I do love rain. Shit.

"Yeah," I lick my lips and try if think if a good excuse, "Last night it was too loud."

That was a terrible one.

I turn to Naveed, desperate to change the subject, "You doing the school-play, Naveed?"

He shrugs, "I don't know. I might do, as seen as I didn't get into the rugby team."

"Right." I drop my pen on the desk, "If you audition for it, then I'll do it with you."

"Yeah." Naveed smiles happily.

"Same." Cory adds.

"And me." Riz says, leaning across the table to see us.

"And me." Dan pats Naveeds arm.

"As long as I'm not the brown one at the back." Abdul mumbles, causing us to chuckle.

"Thanks." Naveed whispers to me.

Cory turns me back to him, "I spoke to Jordan."

"And..."

"Seems like some things just can't be changed."

I furrow my eyebrows, "What do ya mean by that?"

"It's pointless."

"You have to try."

"If I have to try, then so do you."

I sigh, rubbing my temples, "Like I've said before, I've tried."

"But-"

"No." I hold my hand up, "We aren't my having this conversation here - not in science class."

He nods, resting his hand on my thigh and going back to writing.

____

Play auditions. Yay.

We all stand in the hall, waiting for Miss Keane and Mr Quereshi. I lay my head back on Cory's chest while his hands rest on my waist.

"Didn't think you'd be doing this, Peyton." Nas laughs.

"I was just about to say the same thing." Missy giggles, "Very unlike you."

I roll my eyes at them, "Shush, the both of ya. I made a deal with Naveed."

"Peyton?" Mr Quereshi walks over.

"Not you too, Sir." I sigh, "I know, it's surprising. I'm here. Woohoo!"

He laughs, holding his hand out. We do our handshake while Missy and Nas walk off to go speak to Miss Keane.

"It's more surprising to see you both here." He glances at Cory.