24 : Accident

I run after him, "Cory, don't get stroppy now. It were an accident."

"Pey, did you not see him? He couldn't fucking move. I did that." He grumbles, walking through the school gates.

"Not on purpose."

"I'm not even sure if that's true."

"What?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I wanted to win and get that place in the academy so I went for him. Sure, I didn't mean to nearly kill him, but I wanted to hurt him." He bites his lip.

"Cory," I grab his hand, bringing both of us to a stop, "I know how you feel. Everyone gets angry, and everyone hurts someone in the process. Riz will be fine so don't beat yourself up about it."

"He won't forgive me."

"We can go see him in the hospital later, if you want. Or you can go by yourself."

Cory steps closer, gripping my waist, "No, I want you to come."

"Then I will."

He leans down, burying his face into the crook of my neck and I run my fingers through the hair on the back of his head.

"Why me?" He whispers.

"Cause our lives are fucked." I kiss the top of his head.

He straightens up, licking his lips, "We should get going."

"We'll need someone to take us."

"Or we could just walk."

"Fuck no." I shake my head.

He chuckles, "Who's gonna take us then? Both our parents are... y'know. So who?"

"I don't know." I scratch the back of my neck, "Maybe we should just walk."

"It's only a mile." He smiles gently, intertwining our fingers and starts to walk again.

My phone buzzes in my shorts pocket and I pull it out, reading the messages.

Missy

Nas and I have fallen out.

why?

Miss Paracha was catfishing her.

oh fuck

yeah. and she's pissed at me because i knew about it.

do you think you could talk to her?

i'm kinda busy right now but I will once i'm finished

thank you so much, pey

love you xx

love ya too

I shut my phone off, putting it away. Cory's eyebrows furrow as he watches me anxiously play with my rings.

"Who were that?"

"Missy."

"What was she saying?"

I look ahead of us, "Her and Nas have fallen out. It's proper complicated, but she wants me to try sort it out."

"So..."