13 : Open Day

"I'm so sorry." His eyes run over my bruised body while he helps me slip his tshirt over my torso.

He sits down while I pull on a pit of his boxers.

I turn to him, tilting my head slightly for him to continue.

"Your Mum.."

"Cory, stop." I shake my head, sitting next to him, "It's my fault. I should've listened."

He runs a hand through his fluffy hair before pulling me into his chest, his muscular arms holding me close to him in a gentle hug.

"Don't take this in a bad way, but it's your Mum's fault." He whispers into my ear.

I pull away from the hug, "It's both our faults. I shouldn't have made her angry."

He can tell by my stressed face that I don't like the conversation topic so he lays beside me.

"It's open day tomorrow and we have to go to school in our rugby kits." He sighs, moving closer to me and slipping his arm under my head.

"I know, Missy told me. How come I didn't know about this until today?" I look up at him slightly.

"I dunno. Mr Bell told me and Riz."

"Ugh. How dare he not tell me?" I scoff jokingly.

"Have you, uh, texted Jacob?"

I nod, "Yes. He said that he's staying over at his friends place anyway. So Mum will have to look after herself for once."

He begins to play with my hair and we fall into a comfortable silence.

"How's your Dad?"

"He's good, I guess. Jordan and him are still having problems and he's constantly lecturing me about you."

"About me?"

"Yeah," He chuckles, "He just says bullshit like 'she's a problem.' He's an idiot."

"I have a problem." I laugh slightly.

"Don't say that," He watches me yawn, "Now, go to sleep."

"Mhm. Okay." I snuggle into his chest, one of his hands resting on my waist while his other plays with my hair.

__

"Sir, how come I didn't know about the Open Day?" I ask Mr Bell while we walk into the hall to join the others.

"Because you didn't listen."

"No, you never told me."

"I did."

"No, you didn't."

"Don't argue with your superior."

"You are not superior." I smile and he rolls his eyes.

"Peyton, those bruises on your face... where are they from?"

"Rugby. It's a rough fucking game." I lie, rolling my jaw.

"Peyton, you would tell me if it wasn't rugby, right?"

"Of course I would, sir."

He opens his mouth to say something but it slowly shuts, realising that I'm only going to continue telling him it's just from rugby.

I look over at Miss Carter who is staring back at her husband while speaking to the teachers.

"Have you talked to her?" I ask.