Chapter Fifteen

Purple Hyacinths symbolizes apologies and forgiveness.

TW : Panic Attack
~

The rest of the week was Lucas very not subtly trying to convince the emperor to let Lucas hit him over the head with a magic stick. Athanasia would be helping if not for the fear she would somehow die again upon eye contact with the man, so instead she's been chatting with Jennette.

And she has learned a few interesting things, now that Athanasia could finally communicate properly. More specifically, her family.

"So you're saying our dad killed me because he thought I tried to kill you?"

"Mhm. He wouldn't listen to me when I said you didn't do it." Jennette sighed, fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist. "Can I.. tell you something?"

"Of course."

"I know who accused you of poison. The one who did poison me."

Athanasia looked over at the brunette. Jennette seemed upset, her eyes glaring at the floor.

"Who?"

Looking up, a few tears fell down Jennette's cheek. "My aunt, Rosalia. She wanted to guarantee my role as the crown princess."

"Jettie, it's okay." The nickname and comfort slipped out of Athanasia's mouth. "It's not your fault, you didn't know-"

"BUT I DID!" Jennette screamed, tears leaking out of her eyes like water spurting out of a fountain. "She pulled me aside and told me about it. She told me to keep quiet and I've felt so, so guilty."

"What?"

Jennette and Athanasia looked toward the new voice. Ijekiel. He stood at the doorway, eyes widened.

"Your aunt wanted to murder the princess? The.. other princess?"

"..."

Athanasia's gaze shifted from Jennette, to Ijekiel. The two didn't seem too happy right now.
"I'm going to leave you alone now."

"Mhm.. thank you, Athy."

Athanasia nodded, before phasing through a wall.

And like any normal, functioning person, Athanasia immediately fell to the floor and started sobbing.

A lot had happened, leading up to this point. And it wasn't just recent events- ever since Athanasia came to the castle, it seemed everything was out to get her.

Seeing Claude for the first time.

The wedding.

The fact Jennette is (or was) made of black magic.

Watching Jennette's black magic being extracted out of her.

Watching Jennette almost die.

And now, this?

Athanasia placed her hands on her scalp, tugging at her hair. She needs to get it together. She has nothing to worry about. Claude doesn't know her existence, the wedding fiasco was sorted, Jennette is alive and no longer made of black magic, and couples argue all the time. It's actually really healthy in a relationship.

So why is she still panicking?

Athanasia squeezed her eyes shut, desperately trying to calm themself. She wanted Lucas.

"Hey." A soft tone came. "Breath with me. In, 1, 2, 3, 4. Hold it for a bit.. Now out. Exhale for four seconds."

Athanasia followed the instructions. In, hold, out. In, hold, out. In, hold, out.
Her breathing was settling. Her tears stopped.

"Are you okay?"

Opening her eyes, Athanasia was met with light grey eyes.

Felix Robane. It's been a while since she's last seen him.

"Are you alright.. Eyes?"

"My name is Athanasia, and yes, I'm alright."

The knight recoiled, before looking down in shame. "The executed princess, correct?"

Athanasia started to float, much calmer now. "Yes, that's me. Although, I don't remember much of my life while alive."

More like I didn't care for the manhwa enough and it came back to gnaw at my ankles.

"I see." Felix stood, before promptly bowing. Athanasia's eyes widened as he started to speak.

"Upon further investigation of the attempted assasination of the crown princess Jennette, it was found that Countess Rosalia was the one who planted the poison in Jennette's tea, and we executed you for no reason." His voice was trembling, tears threatening to form. "And even so, Rosalia received no punishment. I have slayed many on the battlefield before, but knowing I executed an innocent person, accused of a crime they haven't done, I couldn't help but feel guilty."

"Felix?"

"Please forgive me!"

Athanasia smiled. If there's one thing she remembered about the manhwa, it's that Felix was a caring person at heart.

He was just carrying out his orders.

"I forgive you. I understand you were acting upon the best interest of the princess."

Looking up, the knight smiled. "Thank you, princess."

Getting up onto his feet, Felix tilted his head. "Say, do you remember a maid by the name of Lillian York?"

Athanasia blinked. "I do, why?"

Jabbing a finger towards the exit, Felix grinned. "Why don't we visit her?"

Athanasia brightened up. It's been a while since I've last seen her. Why not?

"Sure."

She couldn't wait to tell Lucas all about it.

~

Lucas smiled. The procedure was done.

Out of sheer luck, Lucas managed to convince the emperor, Claude de Alger Obelia, to let Lucas smack him with a magical stick.
But something felt off.

"Hey, Ghosty-"

...

Oh, right. Athanasia isn't here.

"Ghosty?" The emperor inquired.

"Ah- just a friend of mine."

"But why 'Ghosty'?" The emperor fiddled with the new necklace Lucas had gifted him, a charm to protect against black magic.

Lucas had one too, dangling around his neck. He just wore it less obviously compared to the emperor and princess.

"Wouldn't you know?" Lucas muttered under his breath. Claude raised a brow.

"No, I don't think I would know."

Rolling his eyes, Lucas sighed. "Forget about it. You should probably find your daughters."

"You mean 'daughter'?"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Claude eyed the magician before turning and leaving. Lucas grumbled to himself, a bit angry and a bit surprised.

Surprised because due to the amount of time he spends around Athanasia, it feels odd whenever they're apart.

Anger because of the ignorance of the emperor. He's acting like Athanasia never existed.

Lucas took a deep breath, calming himself. Irritatedly mumbling to himself, Lucas turned to the exit and started walking.

The nerve of some people.

~
Author's Note :
I so badly wanted to make Claude say, "You have friends?"

Lucas is salty.