Chapter Twenty-One

Cornflowers tend to symbolize a hope for the future.

~

"So, I'm guessing you found something?" Ijekiel immediately started asking questions to Athanasia after entering the carriage.

"Mhm." The girl twirled her hair around absentmindedly, pondering the new (and terrifying) information she discovered. "I think it would be best to share what I found when everyone's together again."

"Right.." Ijekiel placed his head into his hands, mumbling to himself.

Athanasia tilted her head. "What's wrong?"

"My father.. He looks terrible. He offered me a drink- he never drinks, especially when he's supposed to be working- and was dressed in rags." Ijekiel looked so wrong, like this. From what Athanasia has seen of the man, he was supposed to be the epitome of perfection. "I don't.."

"Don't worry. I think I know why your father is like this. It's a part of the news."

Ijekiel glanced upward, a smile of relief on his face. A small one, mind you, but a smile nonetheless. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The rest of the carriage ride back to the Garnet Palace was quiet, yet comfortable. They weren't quite friends, but they were no longer acquaintances of a friend, if that made sense. They were acquaintances.

~

"GHOSTY!"

As soon as the duo entered the palace, Lucas ran forward looking frazzled, yet smug. Jennette was following close behind him, frowning.

"I'm sorry. I tried to stop him."

"I FOUND THE REVIVAL PROCESS!"

The princess and magician spoke at once, the former with a disappointed tone, the latter with an excited step in his voice. Both Athanasia and Ijekiel blinked, surprised.

"You.. did? Like, the hour we were gone?"

"Yep." Lucas grinned, staring down Ijekiel. "I told you my abilities weren't to be underestimated."

Athanasia smiled. "That's amazing Lu!"

If Lucas had feathers, he would be preening with pride from the praise. "Well, heh. I said I could do anything, after all."

Jennette slapped him in the back of the head, much to her husband's horror. "Jennette, why-"

"I don't care how proud you are, you need to rest." Jennette was frowning, causing Athanasia to tilt her head.

Ijekiel leaned over. "Jennette's really concerned when it comes to someone's health, has been since your, uh.."

The man made a motion, indicating his neck was snapped. Athanasia 'oh'-ed silently. Turning back her attention to Lucas and Jennette, Athanasia could see the two bickering. The ghost's heart ached. When she becomes a human, would she be able to banter with Lucas like that?

"Wait." Athanasia decided to steer away from the subject. "I discovered something."

"You did?" Lucas frowned, clearly not believing the statement. "It's not that I underestimate you, Ghosty. I underestimate him."

Ijekiel made a noise, sounding offended, while Athanasia let out a small giggle. "I did. I kind of want to announce it with everyone around, though."

"Right. I can make a call for everyone." Jennette nodded, turning and beginning to walk in the direction of Claude's office.

~

"So. You found something?"

Athanasia forgot how intimidating this man was. Gulping, she nodded.

"Yes, all of us received some news."

"Share."

The ghost fumbled over her words, some part of her still terrified of the man. "W-Well, when Ijekiel and I headed over to the Alpheus Manor.."

Athanasia explained everything. The mysterious man, the stolen jars, and the odd ghost.

"...everything was also wrecked. Everything but that room."

"Everything?" Ijekiel looked mortified. "I thought it was just the entrance.."

"So we know the thief. My original answer was to kill him, but due to your explanation he seems more dangerous than usual. We need to plan how to kill him."

Lucas piped up. "Sir de Alger Obelia? I figured out how to revive Athanasia."

Claude blinked. "Oh. Wonderful then."

Athanasia gasped. "Wait! I almost forgot.."

Everyone turned to the girl, waiting in anticipation. The ghost smiled, tilting her head curiously.

"Who's that other ghost that wanders the palace?"