Chapter Twelve

Harley appears tired and irritated today for unknown reasons. She had already dropped a glass causing it to smash on the ground and then she got in an argument with a customer who had been rude. So for the last half an hour I've been waiting to either be called into Stevie's office to explain her behaviour or have him storm out here to start a verbal fight with her.

Sarah had the day off so she wasn't around to see Harley's bad mood and I'm glad, the last thing I would want is to scare her away. She seems fragile in a sweet way, and not strong enough to deal with an angry Harley.

I side eye her as she slams a glass down on the bar angrily, causing the beer inside to spill over the top. I decide that's enough.

"Okay" I state loudly, gaining her attention "what's going on?" I ask as I place the tea towel on the counter, my hand going to my hip as I lean against the bar.

She huffs heavily out of her nose to show her annoyance once again but doesn't stop fidgeting around with things on the counter to face me. Her annoyance rubs off on me and I start to get irritated with her behaviour.

I lean forward and snatch the miscellaneous things she's toying with and place them on the bar so that she has no choice but to give me her full attention.

"Harley" I state firmly. Hoping she spits whatever it is out quickly before the bar becomes busy with people again.

She sighs and finally turns to me, mirroring my position against the bar. "I had an argument with Banks" she says and crosses her arms as her eyebrows furrow but before I can open my mouth and ask why she is already explaining, seems like she needs to vent. "He thinks we should move in together".

To be honest I was surprised that they had lived separately for this long. Most Darlings – especially at the start of a relationship – don't like to be away from each other for long periods of time. Hex had moved in with me as soon as he got out of Hellbound and if he hadn't of been in prison I have no doubt that we would have lived together within the first three months of our relationship.

I'm confused on why she seems annoyed at the idea of moving in with Banks, shouldn't it be a good that someone wants to live with you and move forward in the relationship?

"So, what's the problem?" I ask hesitantly, scared I'll set her off again and I nearly do when she groans and clenches her fists in frustration, the signs reminding me of her brother.

"The problem is that I don't know if that's what I want!" She huffs. She once again grabs something off the bar and fiddles with it as I stare at her.

"Why?" I question.

Our conversation is put on hold briefly as a customer comes to the bar and orders a martini. I serve them as Harley remains on the sideline with her emotions all over the place. Once they get their drink our conversation picks up where it left off.

"I don't know if we're ready for it, Poppy" her patience must be really short today because she doesn't even let me get a breath in before she's speaking again "he still lives with his parents!" She whisper-hisses at me.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about his age.

"Anyway, I don't want to talk about it anymore, it's just making me feel worse" she continues. I say nothing and push off the bar, grabbing the tea towel and continuing to wipe down glasses.

It's silent for a few minutes as we work separately on different sides of the bar, I can feel Harley deflating in emotion, the venting helping.

She makes her way over to me slowly, almost looking like a timid dog that wants a scratch but isn't really sure if they can trust the person.