3|Because you're my best friend

Sun mere Humsafar
Kya tujhe itni si bhi khabar
Ki Teri saans chalti jidhar
Rahunga bas wahi umr bhar
~~~

Mumma I'll cook, agar rasam hai to we will follow ”
Saying so she went to the kitchen as Manik glared at the duo and rushed to her.

Nandini un logo ki baaton par dhyaan mat do. You don't have to do all this ”

“ Hey shh, it's fine. Waise bhi I love cooking. Mumma and papa ke liye pehle bhi banati thi ab bhi banaungi. ”
He smiled but Nandini could see how restless he was. He had taken care of her right from the minute it was decided that Manik will marry her. He didn't think about himself but only cared for her. He too deserved someone to look after him.

“ Aur tumhare liye bhi kuchh banati hu jao ”
Manik smiled back at her relieved, Nandini was coming out of her shell and it had been less than 24 hours.

Maybe just maybe it won't be as bad as he thought.

He went up the stairs straight to his room ignoring the two women who were annoying him to no extent.

He saw the mess Nandini had created in the dressing table and shook his head. With his OCD kicking in he started arranging the lipsticks in the container and perfumes one besides the other.

Since Nandini hadn't had anything he too didn't feel like eating and told his mother that he will have something once this ritual is done.

Nandini prepared simple kheer for elders and then thinking something went to the fridge took out some Cadbury bars and Milky bara then she went to take a big Oreo packet.

Melting the chocolate Nandini took out the chocolate mould and spread a thick layer of melted dark chocolate.

After melting the white chocolate and crushed Oreo she spread a layer and then again covered it with a thick melted cadbury layer.

She did the same for 6 to 7 moulds and then kept them in the freezer.

Taking the kheer out and after beautifully plating it she served it to the elders.

Chachi almost moaned at the tastes but shut up when bua dadi, who kept a straight face, glared at her.

Nandini was not expecting any appreciation from them knowing that they were not fond of her so she looked down.

Naina came to her and said

“ Bohot achha bana hai ”
Adhiraj to came and kissed her forehead.

“ Aaj shaam ko mai wapas Jaa Rahi hoon ”
Bua dadi said indicating Adhiraj to get her tickets and he nodded.

Nandini then recalled she had to make Manik taste her Oreo chocolate bars.

“ Mumma Papa aap baitho mai Manik ko bhi kuchh de kar aati hun ”
They nodded and resumed eating thier kheer.

Nandini came upstairs to thier room and saw Manik working on his laptop. There were frowns on his forehead, she looked at the box in her hands and said

“ Manik ”

“ Hm ”

“ Ye dekho Mai tumhare liye kuchh lekar aayi hun. Please taste kar ke batao kaisa hai ”

“ Nandini tumhe to pata hai mai ye ritual and all me believe nahi karta, then why did you not let me put those two in thier place ”

“ Manik maine ye sab koi rasam samajh ke nahi kiya, Dil se kiya hai ”
He did not know weather he should feel sad or happy so he decided to feel none and eyes the box in her hand.

Nandini saw him looking at it and opened the lid forwarding the box to him.

“ Orea bars ! ”
His eyes twinkled as he munched on one like a kid.

“ Do you like them ? ”
She asked with hope in her eyes. Manik looked at her with mouth full of chocolate and said

“ Like kya I toh love them, chalo tumse shaadi karke kuchh to achha hua ”
Regret filled up his heart as Manik looked at Nandini's fallen face. He was not sure why would he say something like that when he was so much in love with her.

Well maybe because you love her but you were not just ready to jump in and marry Nandini.

His subconscious mind taunted him but he could care less

“ It's ok Manik, tumne kuchh galat thodi bola ”
He hated how small her voice turned, it burnt his heart to even think what mental roller coaster she must be going through right now.

“ Nandini no I didn't mean that ”
He kept the box on the table and held her hand but she gave him a small smile and said

“ Manik just calm down. I did not feel bad, bas I'm really confused right now. Sab ajeeb sa lag raha hai I don't even know kya ho raha hai. Within one day sab change sa ho gaya hai. Aur to aur log bhi kya kya bol rahe hai mere bare me, mere character ke baare me ! kya.....kya ye sab meri galti hai ?
Nandini confessed looking at Manik. He immediately made her sit besides him and held her hands in his.

A small tear rolled down her eye which she tried to hold back but failed. She looked at Manik with dejected eyes because she knew the only person on this Earth is can feel exactly what she is going through is Manik because he is in her shoes. He has been through the events of the previous day along with her.

And she knew he understood what she felt.

Manik put his hand on hers and not knowing what to say closed his eyes taking a deep breath

“ Nandini, ajeeb to lagega na, all of a sudden tumhari shaadi me itna bada twist. Last moment Kabir ki jagah mujhe mandap me tumhare saath bitha diya gaya, but Nandu isme tumhari koi galti nahi hai. Tumhe wahi kiya jo situation ki demand thi. Aur rahi baat tumhare character ke baare me toh Nandini mai janta hun ki tum pure ho. Bhai didn't run away because of you but because he could not get the courage to deny the alliance. Tum apne dimag se ye sab khayal nikal do ”

“ Thank you Manik, thank you so much for being my best friend ”
Nandini spoke wrapping her arms around his frame

***
Thank you for 1K reads 💜
Please drop a vote and share you're views through comments. I'll be pleased if you all followed me

Much Love
Vishakha ✨