chapter forty one

FORTY ONE

After that night I never saw Giovanni again, but that was fine with me, it's been three days now and I haven't seen,no even his shadow anywhere. I do see Leonardo though he'll pause and stare at me for a few minutes, looking like he wants to speak to me.

These past three, I've gotten to know alot about Stella. She is 27 now. She and Sergio met only when she was 16 before he became a Narco and got involved in arms dealing.

Her parents got involved in a crossfire between two cartels and died and she went to live with a great aunt that's when she met Sergio and they fell.in love they then had an off and on relationship until they had a kid together,I don't know why she calls him.Boss Sergio like everyone else but it seems Sergio is a narcissistic bastard who let money and wealth get to his heard and he somehow today the mother of his child call him Boss Sergio.

She finished high school and did elementary school teaching at their local university. Now she teaches the children of the people that work here and those that live in the small town.I heard that there was a small town a few miles away from here.
The children here are adorable and lovely, children that are eager to learn,there is a certain boy in particular that keeps calling me Angel and refuses to address me by my name,he even brought me some fruits that are local to the area they were delicious,he reminded me so much of Mason a happy boy,but is now all serious.

Remembering him is comforting, him calling Lydia his mother cut me deep like a knife, growing up the way we did ,it would be a miracle not to have emotional and psychological issues.

He never had a mother present.I was there not always. I was out working till late in the night. Mom would come home drunk and high and take it out on him , screaming about how she never wanted a third child.

Lydia is bat shit crazy,she can't get over her son's death so she kinds of finds closure in Mason , even though it's insane I can see she cares in her own way,but I'm the only one that knows what's best for them,we only have each other they are the only family I have left , that is why I have to send Giovanni to prison, Mercelo said I could claim half of his money in the deal he offered me,we won't have to worry about anything, I'll be turning twenty in a few weeks so I can claim back the guardianship he claims he was given by my mother.

The women here are really nice and from time to time pass little gifts to Stella as thanks for teaching their children for free. After classes ended I got into the passenger seat of the black Jeep Stella used and we drove to.the town while pulling a little wagon we were going to use for supplies for the camp. Other students got on and laughed while enjoying the ride .

The town was like something you see in an old movie but was neat and clean. The people smiled and waved at Stella,she must be really popular.

She went to the grocery store and I told her I had to make a quick call,she just nodded her head yes and didn't ask me any questions.

I take out the coins she gave me and dial in Mercelo's number,after two rings he finally picks up.

"Mercelo it's me Nithia",

"Nithia, Olivia told me Giovanni had taken you to Colombia. I haven't heard from you these past few days and was beginning to worry",he says.

" I'm okay, no need to worry about me ,any news on my brothers?"

" They are fine Mason came out first in his school's science fair and started piano lessons",those are his favorite things " Lucas has started focusing on his studies,the men Giovanni placed to watch him don't let him out of the house unaccompanied",he continues " what about you,have anything for me?".

"Yes I do I'm at a camp on the forest here in Colombia miles and miles away from the city,I can't send you my location because all messages and calls sent out are monitored but I took pictures of Giovanni, Leonardo and a guy named Sergio",

" Sergio? Sergio? That guy was  on the DEA's wanted list for some time but was recently removed after lack of evidence and witnesses, can you tell me for certain where you are?"

" No I'm sorry I can't but don't worry I'll send you the pictures as soon as we return and I get the chance to do so" and hang up as I see Stella walking towards me.

" You're treading dangerous waters honey",she says, sucking on a lollipop.

" I just want to be set free",I say and walk to where our Jeep was,some men load the wagon and fill it up with supplies. An old lady by the street selling charms and talismans caught my eye. My late grandmother believed in so much of this stuff and seeing it drew my attention.
"Come ,come ,you want me to read you fortune?",she asks with a smile.
" No thank you",I say and continue examining the intricate designs on the bracelets,charms and earrings.

"I read you fortune"  she says and grabs my hand running her fingers on my palm.
"Sad ,sad life ",she says, shaking her head, then takes out a deck of cards. "Pick one",she says and looks at me expectantly,I don't have the heart to reject her so I go ahead and pick one she then shuffles them two more times asking me to pick one each time.

After I pick all of them ,she turns them revealing the one I've chosen.
"The page of cups,5 of Cups,The fool, very nice and interesting",she laughs,I knew I shouldn't have listened to her.

"A blessing,A tragedy,A new life and beginning!",she shouts after me as I walk away.

" Don't listen to her ,she is the town's crazy lady", Stella says as I get into the car.

We arrive at the camp and I see Giovanni and Sergio sitting under a tree with a table filled with empty bottles of beer and cigarette butts.

I jump down from the Jeep and since it is hot as hell, I'm wearing little jean shorts and a white t-shirt.I can feel Giovanni's eyes on me but choose to ignore him.I help unload the stuff we bought despite Sarah's protest for me not to.

I walk to the cabin with Giovanni trailing behind me "we will be leaving first thing tomorrow morning",

"Okay",I say and look for something to change into after I shower.

"I wanted to apologize for what happened last time",he says, grabbing my wrist. Now this is something Giovanni would ever say. "I'm so sorry,I didn't mean to",he says hugging me "I love you so much and I don't like it when I hurt you".
Many things go through my mind. I can refuse his apology and just make a fuss but I have the pictures and as soon as I give them to Mercelo he'll have something to accuse Giovanni with.

"It's okay",I say and smile, kissing his cheek.

Later during the day I learn that Leonardo already left and so tomorrow morning it will just be me and Giovanni.

Stella was a little upset after I told her that I'd be leaving but we promised to keep in touch.I sincerely hope she finds  her daughter because she is the nicest person I've ever met and hoped things go well with her.