36 | forklifts and tractors

"sky never looked so blue" - Canyon Moon by Harry Styles

Canyon Moon by Harry Styles

༶•┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈•༶

— "WHAT ARE YOU UP to today?" James asked as he walked into the kitchen, pulling on his jacket. "Marks going to teach me a few more things today, I think he's teaching me about tractors" Isabella explained as she placed a sand which and some snacks into a brown bag. "Here's your lunch" She smiled at James as she gently nudged the bag towards him. "You don't have to do that" James sighed as Isabella walked around to him, placing her hands on his chest.

"I wanted to, have fun at work" Isabella replied, getting on her tippy toes and kissing his lips softly. "Love you" He whispered before kissing her forehead and heading towards the door. "Love you too, say hello to Sirius for me" Isabella shouted after him, blowing him a kiss and waving him off. Once James was away she made her way upstairs, passing by Harry's empty room. She really did miss him; it was quieter without him. She traipsed through to her and James' shared room to find something to put on.

She decided it was best to wear old things so she grabbed a pair of old beat-up jeans and shirt. She pulled on a farming jacket that Mark had gifted to her before pulling on a pair of boots as well. Now all she had to do was hunt down Mark. The sky was bright blue and the sun shone brightly down on the farm. The early autumn air filled her lungs as she stepped outside and began her hunt.

...

When she made it down to the main farm area she was met by Paul and two massive big trucks. "What's all this?" Isabella asked when she reached Paul, looking at the lorries confusedly. "We'll you've got fertiliser in that one and sees in the other and you my glamorous assistant are going to be using a forklift to get them out of the truck and into the shed over there" Paul explained making Isabella give him a deadpanned look.

"One, I don't know how to drive a forklift and two, I'm meant to be meeting Mark" Isabella listed, placing a hand on her hip as she looked at her friend. "Yes and you can do that after so chop chop" Paul clapped before judging her towards the forklift whilst the guys from the truck opened them up. 'Bloody clowns I'm dealing with' Isabella thought to herself as she climbed onto the forklift. It wasn't hard to figure out how to use she just didn't want to be responsible for this job.

She began driving the forklift towards the truck when Paul stopped her. "You've got to take the hay out of the shed first because you can't store this stuff with hay" Paul informed her making her eyes shut tightly. "Why not?" She asked with a sigh. "Hay doesn't spontaneously combust"

"Well it might do in the presence of this stuff so please just do it, thank you, love you" Paul blew her a kiss before standing off to the side. So with that Isabella got to work. She drove into the shed and tried picking up the first hay bale but to no avail, it just slid right through the gaps in the middle. "For fucks sake" She grumbled, placing her head on the wheel. After many, many more tries she managed to get into the swing of it.

Eventually the hay, and everything else that might suddenly explode was taken out of the shed so then it was time to put stuff in. Much to the relief of the delivery drivers it was finally time get started. She did get a fright when she brought one of the bags onto the forklift as it jolted. She ever so carefully backed into the shed and was able to gently place it down with success. "Excellent" Isabella smiled as she climbed down from the forklift and walked outside. "Cheers mate, that was brilliant" Isabella told the delivery man, giving him a thumbs up and she walked towards Paul.

"That wasn't so bad" She shrugged but Paul just laughed. "That's because you're not finished yet" Paul reminded making her mouth open in realisation. "Oh yeah the seed, excuse me, do you mind pulling forward so I can get the seed out of the other lorry" She asked the man as he climbed out of the truck. "Um there's forty-two more bags here for you" He informed her making her stay silent for a moment. "What?"

Despite a few accidents that definitely weren't her fault, she had all the fertiliser and the seed unloaded in just four and a half hours. "I think my backs broken now" Isabella complained as she walked over to a very amused looking Paul. "That's the life of a farmer, now you have to go and met Mark up in that field over there" Paul reminded her. She just stared at him before trudging on her heel and walking up the hill towards said field, her hands held tightly in firm balls

...

When she finally found Mark he seemed to be having trouble with the tractor and horrible beeping noise could be heard coming from the tractor. "Everything okay?" She asked, looking up at him as he climbed down the side of the tractor. "Haven't a clue, it's all in Norwegian" Mark sighed once he reached the ground. "I think it might be the brake fluid reservoir, just have a look and see if you find anything that might help us out" Mark instructed making Isabella nod and begins looking at all the labels whilst Mark did something else.

"Good news, this is in Spanish" Isabella cheered sarcastically. "I've never been to Spain" Mark commented randomly. "It's not anything that we need though" She sighed, leaning against the wheel of the tractor. "We need a book" Mark replied from the other side of the tractor. "Yes, but we haven't got one unfortunately" Isabella said as she rubbed her head. "I mean I've got hundreds of books but none on this stuff, have you got a book?" She asked him as she walked round to his side.

"No" Mark said simply as he looked at something on the tractor making Isabella laugh. "Any books?" She asked through her light laughter. "Nope" He replied. "Have you not got a book?" She questioned and once again the answer was the same. "I've got loads of books" Isabella explained as she walked closer to him. "Yeah but how do you read them all?" Mark asked, looking back at her. "I have read them all it just takes time" she told him making him shake his head. "I could never do that"

They spent another good half hour looking for the reservoir but they never found it so they decided it was time for a cup of tea instead as James would be home soon and Sirius and Remus were coming over. Isabella had invited Paul and Mark to join them for dinner as well. "Well before we go we could grease up" Mark suggested making Isabella look at him blankly, her eyes watching him funnily.

"Oh.." She said after a moment realising what he actually meant and that it wasn't an innuendo. They both burst out into laughter. "Don't look at me like that" Mark said through his laughter as Isabella covered her face. "You mean grease the tools up" She finally said making Mark nod.

...

Later on the pair began walking back to the farm house. The sun in the horizon had begun to set behind the hills. Mark had thankfully brought his radio along with them so they could have a little dance party on their way back. Isabella found that she really enjoyed Marks company and he was super easy to be around. 'Dancing in the Moonlight' played they danced together as they walked down the path lined with trees. Mark gently spun Isabella around as they went before they continued dancing together down the path until they reached the house.

"The wanderer's finally return" Paul joked as he got up to greet them and give Mark a kiss. "We had some problems" Mark informed them as Isabella found her way over to James in the kitchen. "There she is" James smiled in greeting, giving her a kiss. "Do you need any help?" She asked as she looked at the food scattered across the island. "Wouldn't mind" James shrugged with a nod. "How was your day today?" He asked as Isabella put on her apron that was hung on the wall. "It was good but very long" She informed him making him laugh. "Same here"

The two continued to talk and laugh whilst they made the dinner. It might not be the same without Harry around all the time but at least they still had each other.

.............

Sorry this chapter is shorter than usual but I hope you still enjoyed! What do we think of Mark, do we like him so far?

I get this chapter was probably kind of boring but I'll try and make the chapters about farming as funny as possible :)

Lots of love,
Grace <3