51 | scarlet ribbons

"Through the night my heart was aching"- Scarlet Ribbons by Sinéad O'Connor

- Scarlet Ribbons by Sinéad O'Connor

༶•┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈•༶

— JAMES BURST THROUGH THE doors into St Mungo's, not caring who was in his way. He ran to the front desk and spoke desperately to the woman behind it. "Where's my wife? Isabella Potter, where is she?" He asked. The woman looked up to the man in-front of her, he looked to be under a lot of distress and his eyes were red. "She's in room 81" The woman informed him. He mumbled out a quick thank you before heading down the hallway, reading the door numbers rapidly. He came to a stop when he found Paul with a sleeping Harry huddled into his side.

"Can I go in?" James asked, wanting more than anything to see his wife. When Paul called him, he felt as though his stomach dropped to his feet. He knew he shouldn't have listened to her and gotten the day off. He could've been there to help her. As soon as he got the call from the hospital, he fled the ministry. Remus and Sirius told Moody what had happened, and the man had allowed them to go as well. Soon enough they'd be with them too. "Her dads in there just now" Paul told James tiredly.

James stepped forward to look through the window into the hospital room. Scott sat next to his daughter in the bed, holding her hands in between his slightly larger ones. A look of unparalleled pain etched onto his face as held his daughter's hand close to his face. "Has she woken up yet?" James asked Paul who shook his head. "The doctors said due to the medication they gave her she could be asleep for a good few hours" James nodded at this information, making his way towards the door.

He gently opened it up catching Scott's attention. The older man sent him a sad smile before kissing his daughter's hand before placing it gently on her bed. He stood up from his chair and walked towards the door out, he squeezed James's shoulder reassuringly before departing the room, closing the door behind him.

James ventured over to the chair at Isabella's bed side. He slowly sat down reaching out and softly taking her pale, cold hand in his. As soon as he touched her hand, a sob fell from his mouth as his shoulders began to shake whilst tears cascaded down his face. The memories of being sat in this exact same position by his mum and dad's bedside came flooding back. He brought her hand up to his lips and kept it there. The only sound around him was the beeping of the heart monitor. It was eery and cold. He hated it.

She had tubes going into her nose to help her breath as the dragon pox had apparently done some damage to her lungs due to all the coughing and sneezing. It truly was a heart-breaking site.

He was incredibly thankful that Paul was there with her. There were so many things that could've happened. She could have been driving home with Harry when she passed out and then he could've lost the two people closest to him. She could've been all alone, and no one would've found her. He knew he shouldn't think like that, but he couldn't help but let those thoughts fly around his mind. He counted his lucky stars that Paul was there, Paul was probably the one that he trusted most with Isabella despite her dad.

He always knew that Paul would never let anything happen to Isabella. She was like his little sister.

Downstairs, where James was moments ago, Remus and Sirius came rushing through the door. They carried with them James' stuff he abandoned at work. They ran through the halls almost as quickly as James, their faces filled with uncertainty of what was happening to their friend. After them came Mark with a bunch of Isabella's favourite flowers. Mark was running so fast he bumped into a cleaner, he quickly apologised and pushed on.

Hours passed and the group still sat in the waiting area, not wanting to leave until she was okay. Remus had fallen asleep against Sirius shoulder and Mark sat on the ground next to Paul, his head leaning against the wall behind him. When no one was looking Harry hopped of his seat and made his way towards the door. He hadn't seen his dad since he arrived, and he wanted to see his mum. He cracked the door open to see that James had fallen asleep in the chair, his hands still connected with Isabella's.

Harry gently shut the door behind him and made his way over to Isabella, the opposite side from James. He stared at his mum sadly before his eyes fell on the Harry sized space on the bed next to her. Deciding it was a good idea, he climbed up onto the bed, curling into her side, laying his head down on her chest. He let one of his arms wrap around her as he listened to her heartbeat. When people talked about dragon pox in school, they all said they would never touch anyone with the disease. That they were all dirty and if you went near them, you'd catch it.

These comments chipped away at Harry because he knew his mum had it. He wasn't afraid to touch her. He knew it wouldn't harm him and even if it did, he didn't care, he still wants to hug his mum. Some people would say he's too old to still hug his mum so much, but he saw nothing wrong with it. It just showed that he loved his mum. She was the first woman to show true care and interest in him.

Hermione almost always quipped back at them with a smart comment that made them shut up. Harry had told Ron and Hermione about his mum which is what fuelled her into fighting back. She wasn't going to let them talk about people like that, especially a nice woman like Isabella.

He stayed cuddled into Isabella for a while, about an hour. In that time a nurse had come to check Isabella and gave Harry a comforting smile. After that Harry had sat and read his book, occasionally looking over his shoulder at Isabella in case she'd woken up. However, when he looked round this time he noticed her skin glistening, it appeared to be sweat. He placed a hand on her forehead and had to pull his hand back when he felt how warm it was.

He quickly jumped off the bed and shook his dad awake. "Dad, wake up, somethings wrong with mum" He said making James wake up right away. James sprung up from his seat to look at Isabella. The heat radiating from Isabella worried him deeply, he pressed the button that alerts the nurses and a couple came hurrying through. As they came through the door, Isabella's heart rate began speeding up making the heart monitor beep quicker and quicker.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the room" One of the nurses told James who shook his head determinedly. "Sir it's not a request, if you won't do it for me, do it for your son" The nurse said, motioning down to Harry whole stared at his mum with a look of fear. With a sigh James quickly led Harry out the room before wrapping him in a hug. More nurses ran into Isabella's room making everyone perk up and look at James to find out what was going on.

He explained what had happened as he took a seat next to Scott whilst Harry sat on the floor. A nurse came out after a good fifteen minutes and walked over to James. She leaned down and whispered something into his ear that made his head fall into his hands.

..............

this is a shorter chapter so i do apologise for that but i hope you enjoyed reading it nonetheless! :)