13

Sadness. That's all Heejin could feel. It was enveloping her like a tight hug, not letting her breathe.

She couldn't quite grasp from which bond it came. But it was a sadness so deep it almost felt like it was coming from within her own heart.

It was almost like pain, the sadness so sorrowful that had woken her up in the middle of the night. Heejin just knew she had to do something about it. She needed to make her soulmate feel better, to take his pain away. Because it was overcoming her senses, drowning her in an ocean of melancholy.

Heejin had jolted up in the middle of the night with the tingling pain of sadness. She couldn't go back to sleep, not now that she knew one of her soulmates was in need of support.

She strolled down the hall silently, trying to make up her way in the dark and to hear if anyone else was up.

It usually wasn't like this. Whenever you sleep, you aren't supposed to perceive your soulmate's emotions. But this had to be such a deep sorrow it had woken her up.

No lights were turned on, and there was no other sound than the clock in the living room and Kai cutely mumbling in his sleep. Okay, so it wasn't Kai.

It was kind of a relief. Huening Kai had such a beautiful soul Heejin didn't want him to be in any pain. Not that she wanted any of her other soulmates to, but with this hurtful feeling she didn't think Huening Kai would be able to have the same bubbly and innocent personality he has after.

What was causing such suffering? Was there anything she could do to help? She needed to help. She couldn't stand the pain anymore.

Somewhere inside her started calling out to her. To walk out of the apartment. She took a small umbrella and put on her slippers before leaving. Even the click of the automatic lock was too loud.

And then, she walked. Alone, in the dark of the night, she just walked. She wanted the pain to go away, it was agonizing.

Heejin didn't know where she was going, but she knew it was the right direction. It had to be. It was her bond calling out to her and she would listen in order to make her soulmate not suffer anymore.

When arriving at the bridge, she saw a figure slumped next to the railing. He was sitting there, sobbing and letting the rain drench him. It was as if he wanted the rain to wash the pain away.

Grabbing the umbrella tighter, she walked slowly towards him. She knew who it was even if he was far from her. She could also feel the tingling pull for her to comfort him, so she gave into it and then the slow steps turned into hurried stomps.

She placed the umbrella over him. Summer rain wasn't something she was fond of, and now it was as if it was mocking her by drenching her too, even with the umbrella over her head.

"Yeonjun".

"Go away".

"Yeonjun".

"Noona, please. Go away".

She was taken aback by the honorific thrown at her. She was born the same year as Yeonjun, so he never used the honorific, but now that he did it meant that he wanted her to listen.

But her bond didn't want that.

"I'm not gonna leave you alone", she answered simply.

"Then you'll be staying for a while".

"Okay", she murmured. She closed the umbrella and sat next to him.

They both didn't look at each other. Heejin even acted as if the heartbreaking sounds of his sobs didn't affect her.

So she interlaced her pinky to his.

It was such a small action. It was the way he would fill his quota of physical contact with her. But for some reason, this time locking pinkies kind of meant more. As if everything was changing without actually changing at all.

"Do you want me to help you feel better?", she asked slowly. He sighed. "This sadness you carry it's... it's so heavy, Jun", he turned to look at her at the little nickname.

She smiled a little and placed her other hand over his chest.

"Why does your heart hurt so much?", it was more of a question for herself rather than waiting for him to answer.

His hand moved so it was not only their pinkies locked, but their palms touching and fingers interlaced. Yeonjun wasn't looking at him, but she could tell that the physical contact was making him feel better. And for now, that's all she wanted.

"I want to help you", she placed her hand that lay on his chest on his cheek, and caressed his wet skin with her thumb.

A small cry left his lips, and Heejin didn't know what to say. Maybe she didn't need to say anything. She just stayed there, caressing her soulmate's cheek and holding his hand as strongly as he was holding hers.

"It's okay, I'm here", was all she could think to say.

His sadness mingled with her own feelings and also fought with the bind connection trying to make it better. It was a very strong sadness, and she wished she could take it all away.

"Heejin", he said after what felt like forever.

The rain had stopped and they both were now sticky with the heat of summer. They stood up, silently looking at Han river, his hand finding hers rapidly once they were both on their feet.

She didn't want to think about him shutting her off. Not now, not when he needed her. Sometimes you have to forgive in order to make it all better, and she really wanted him to feel better.

"Do you wanna go home?", she asked quietly.

His eyes were puffy and his nose was so red. He looked devastated, and she hoped that she wasn't making it worse by being there.

"But..."

"Hm?, she said while turning to him.

"Can you kiss me?"