One

This book contains adult content. Sexual scenes(a lot of them), drugs, rape, etc.

It's a book based in a hospital for the mafia. What else did you expect??

Enjoy & feel free to leave feedback.

Scarlett

My feet carry me across the hard floor as I go from room to room. Patients scatter the once vacant beds at a rapid rate, all with different levels of trauma.

"Bay one has two gun shot wounds. Miguel Hernandez. Twenty-six year old Hispanic male. One in the upper right shoulder and one in the thigh.  He is losing blood at a rapid rate and the transfusions are not able to keep up. The on-call trauma surgeon has been paged three times since the ambulance arrived but he has not called or sent us another page back to let us know that he has been notified and is on route." One of my nurses, LeAnne, rattles off at an almost incoherent rate as she slides me the patients chart.

A string of curses run passed my lips as I jog to trauma bay one, nearly slipping on the still warm blood. "What the fuck are we doing here, Star? We are losing him!"  Another nurse yells as I enter the room.  It looks like a shitty produced horror film in here. Blood paints almost the entirety of the room, gauze littering the floor from someone's poor attempt to stop the bleeding. I begin to analyze the situation as quickly as possible, my eyes finding it's way to his thigh, the majority of the blood seeping from that wound. I slide on some gloves quickly.

"He's flatlined," someone speaks but I am unsure of who.

"Move!" I yell out, quickly pulling the lever on the bed that says 'CPR'. The bed flattens out. "Grab the board," I scream as I lean over the patient, grabbing the sheet he is laying on to pull him to his side while they slide the board underneath him. "Starting compressions," I speak loudly, getting my hands in the right position before starting. I count in my head to thirty, my arms straining from the force needed. I stop for a moment as someone slides the oxygen mask and bag over his face, giving him two puffs before I resume.

Other nurses and a doctor yells out medical terms and medications, but my mind is focused on trying to get a rhythm started in his chest. I've learned to block out information that doesn't pertain to what my hands are fixated on until I'm told to step away.

A day in this hospital truly represents how hectic my life is on a daily basis. I rarely stop moving. Hell, I graduated high school at fifteen due to pure boredom at home. That led to me getting my bachelors in nursing by eighteen, out of boredom once again. The faster I could accomplish my goals, the faster I could get out of my father's house. Once I graduated I did two years of besides nursing at our local community hospital. It was alright, it paid my bills but it wasn't enough for me. Soon after my twentieth birthday I was approached by my father's boss, Don Micah. He asked me to take on the task of being a nurse for his mafia.

Now, at twenty-five, I run the emergency department in what they call The Hospital of Hell. Don Micah has since retired but his mafia still festers. The majority resides here in Virginia, but when they are in need of medical attention and are able to travel, they are transferred here. Everything is undocumented and private. Everyone here is paid by the new Don, but we are all registered to different nursing homes in the state. We are all paid three to four times the national rate for our specialties and we are made to sign a contract. If we speak on anything we see or do here, we are terminated. And I do not mean being simply fired. Once you come to hell, you don't leave. It's a life long commitment. We get bonuses on days like today as well, typically a few thousand.

Nothing is normal in this hospital. Nothing is done by the book. We do what we can to save the mafia men and their families at any cost necessary. I have been trained in surgeries due to lack of surgeons and staff in general. I am not by any means qualified, but if I am able I do what needs to be done. Our charting is lazy and inconsistent, most of us forgetting our training from prior jobs and school.