Seven

Scarlett

I toss and turn the entire night. I'm not used to sleeping anywhere other than the comfort of my own bed.

Rolling over I glance at my phone, the clock that is on the screen lighting up to remind me it's three in the morning and I should be knee deep in my slumber. I groan out, throwing the rather large comforter off my body. I sit up carefully, keeping my stitches in mind. Biting at my lip I stare at the door, debating on going to bother the big and bad Don that lays on the other side.

My impulsive thoughts win. I stand to my feet, wandering through the dark room until I find the light switch. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the harsh rays emitting from the cieling lights. My stomach bubbles with nerves but I fight against it. He is the one who brought me here.

"I understand what you said, and I chose not to listen," I hear Axton talking lowly in the living room. I slowly follow the voice, careful not to make too much noise. "Everything is fine. Five years is a long time to be lonely, A-" he stops talking as he sees me standing a few feet from him. "I've got to go. See you in the morning, yeah?" He hangs the phone up, ignoring the voice that continued through the click.

"Can't sleep?" He hums. He sits up a bit straighter, leaving room for me on the couch.

"No. Not used to being away from my bed. You?" I ask as I plop down beside him, gazing at the small tv he has on. Some thriller movie plays with the volume on low.

"I don't sleep much," he smiles softly, his eyes on mine. He looks so sweet, so simplistic. The scars that litter his skin tell a contradicting story compared to the one that is on display now.

I can't imagine this being the same man who kills and sells drugs for a living. He doesn't even act like how he did when I first met him in the Hospital of Hell.

Maybe he's bipolar.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask absentmindedly. My mind wanders a lot, a bad habit of mine. I overthink and overanalyze until there are no more scenarios left in my head to play out.

He clicks his tongue, sighing. "I don't know, Scar. Maybe I shouldn't have."

My face scrunches in confusion as I look at him once more.

"You were hurt and being stubborn. This is the safest place I could think to bring you to. However, I made the choice in a moment of vulnerability. No one is supposed to know where I live," he sends me a blank stare, on that is clearly trying to hide a deeper emotion.

"You could've just left me there," I shrug.

His eyes flicker down to my lips, the movement making my heart pick up an extra beat or two. "I've seen you before. I've been around, just not where you can see," There is a small pause before he continues. "You're the backbone to our emergency department, from what I have heard, if you would've stayed there, you would've eventually tried to help once they got behind. It's just in your blood."

"I guess you're right." I shrug.

Axton Taikyn is an attractive man. Everything down to his demeanor screams dominance and danger. It drives something deep into my core to come to light. I've never been the best at picking men to sleep with. I kind of just go with the flow and then go to the clinic after. Toxic, yes. Unhealthy, yes. However, it has worked out for me this far.

And I'm sure he has been around. He owns the hospital and literally everyone in it. I'm usually too invested with my patients to pay attention to anything else. It still doesn't make sense to me, though. To my belief nobody has seen him neither.