Chapter 8: In the small village

“Oka-sama, I saw a young girl coming to this place. She looks rather exhausted.” A boy named Alvin said this to his mom.

He was a swordsman of a small village at the age of 16 and is located about 19 kilometers away from the forest.

While practicing his swordsmanship, he noticed a faint aura of darkness. He thought that a monster was coming to his village, but surprisingly, he saw a young kid covered in sweat looking very haggard.

“Oh my! This kid looks pitiful!” His mom responded then she came closer to the young girl who was also coming nearer to the village.

The sun was about to set and the sky had the tint of red, orange and yellow colored together.

“Hagh, ha! That was so tiring!” The young girl complained as she sat on the ground relaxing herself with fresh air.

Two men were approaching her— Alvin and his mom.

“My my! Young girl, where are you from?” The mother said first as she looked at the young girl's pitiful appearance.

Then, it was followed by his son who seemed to be interrogating.

“Why do I sense darkness in you?” He asked.

“Darkness? You mean my aura..? Sorry, that's my skill.”

“Skill... I see, I thought you were a demon.”

“Son! You can't just say that to a young girl!” His mother said to him then turning her glance back to the young girl. “Hora, young girl, why don't you come inside our house?”

“Mom!”

“Shh! Can't you feel a pity? Sorry about that. You see, my son is a heartless man.”

The young girl just laughed at them, then she stood up and said: “I will gladly accept that.”

And so, Alvin has no choice but to accept what his mother just did.

After coming to their house, the young girl took a seat with them and later on, the mother offered her a soup. 

The young girl accepted it with thanks and then, the introduction of knowing each other starts now.

“My name is Mareine, a puppeteer. I am level 9. Thanks for letting me come inside your house.” The young girl introduced herself.

“Oh my, such a cute name and.... You are level 9? One more level and you will be at the end. Such a big achievement even though you are a child.” The mother said showing her sympathetic face to Mareine showing that she really felt pity for the kid.

Next, the son followed 

“My name is Alvin. A swordsman. 16 years old and at the max level.”

Right after he said that, Mareine bursted out her mouth.

“M-max level??! What is the limit..?”

“My my, I told you young girl, you just need one more level.”

With that, Mareine was confused.

“The max level is.... 10?”

““Yes.””

Confused, bewildered, Mareine asked more questions to them, about why the max level was 10 and what will happen after reaching the maximum.

To sum up, these are what mother and son told her:

— The maximum level is 10. When you reach that, you will go through evolution or skill upgrade.

Alvin said that he also went through evolution but sadly, he only got some Passive Skill or Special Skill. Alvin didn't get an Ultimate Skill.

Ultimate skills can be obtained through evolution or skill upgrade. And acquiring an ultimate skill only has a slim and very small chance for ultimate skill is a powerful skill.

The family also said that after you reached level 10 and have done evolution, the status that can be seen above your head will vanish together with levels.

After reaching level 10, you can now enroll in an academy and register as an adventurer.

That's what they explained. As such, even though the level disappeared, you can upgrade your status like Agility, intelligence, strength, etc by training yourself.

Skill can also be upgradable or enhanceable even if the level disappeared.

To be precise, the level will just disappear but it doesn't really mean that you are already at the maximum.

“How about you Alvin, are you already registered in the academy?” Mareine Asked.

“The test will be next week. That's why I'm training my skills and body.”

“I wanted to join too....” Mareine mumbled softly.

The two family members looked at each other when Mareine muttered that sentence then they opened their mouths in synchronization.

“But you are just level 9 aren't you?”

“.... I guess yes...?”

“Then you need a level more. How about I help you find a monster nearby?” Alvin suggested.

“Then, if the level disappeared, how will the academy know that you really are a level 10? Is there something that proves you or looks at your status?” 

So, Mareine asked again.

“There was a magical item in there to see your whole status. There was also an anti lie area in that place. You can also say the skill you got in evolution.” Alvin answered and explained to her. “Like mine, I said that I acquired the Special Passive Skill: Sword Master of Arena, (Gladiator). I got accepted and I'm only waiting for the last promotion in the next week, the academy test”