Chapter 17: Mission: Onslaught

Alcred was in trouble looking at the result of mine in front of us.

“I think the device broke.” He said, scratching his head.

“W-what do w-we do n-now?” Knowing that the result failed, Marry was worried that we might not succeed in taking part of the mission so I opened my mouth for this.

“See that?” I said pointing at the screen that came out from the box. “It said ‘yes’ in the part ofMax Level’ and we're only here to check whether I'm level 10 or not right? To check if I'm lying or not?”

Listening to my sentence, Alcred pondered looking at me.

“Well, you are correct......”

With that, Marry was both excited and happy.

“So we will be on the mission?!!”

“Yes.” I answered.

“Hahaha.” Alcred laughs awkwardly while scratching his head.

“Let’s go back for a while. I will call the repair team.” He added.

“Y-yes...! I'm g-glad!” 

Marry rejoiced and as I stared my eyes on her face, the heart symbol at the bottom of her left eyes started to fade and it changed into a green clover.

What the heck? And here I thought it was a tatoo.

◇◆◇

────────────────

Half an hour had passed and it was confirmed. Me and Marry will be partaking in a mission.

The reward was 2 gold and for god’s sake. Only 2? — that was my expression a long time ago, but when Marry told me that 2 gold has the currency equivalent to 200 silver coins, I was convinced that it wasn't a scam.

The mission Marry picked that she really stubbornly insisted had a name of “Onslaught”— it was written on the parchment.

To finish the mission, you need to defend a small village in the east from goblin invasion.

Marry said that goblins don't attack. They only steal or snatch some swords or money.

That's why the rank of the mission was just D+

This hall didn't seem to look discriminate kids or look down on us. But as long as you fit the requirements, you can do it.

Also, I just recently learned this, but if we fail this mission, we're going to pay 20 coins each.

I don't even have money so I hope the mission will be accomplished.

“M-Mareine-san.... L-let’s go n-now!” Marry said, being shy while offering her hand to me.

“Yeah sure.”

After that, Marry and I were searching for a carriage to use for the mission. 

And unfortunately, there was no carriage or a wagon left for us. Even the merchants, their wagon was full of supplies. That's why we can't barge in.

“Seems like there was no carriage left for us.” I said.

There was supposed to be a carriage for this mission alone since the village was 13 kilometers away, but the carriage  still hadn't reached the capital, so the hall assumed that the carriage was in damage or broken.

“S-should I c-call my b-brother...?” Marry replied.

“Is your brother sort of a carriage seller or a horse rider?”

“N-no... I'm a n-noble.... So we had p-plenty of c-carriages...”

A noble? She must be rich? If so, then befriending her was a good choice.

But it's already afternoon. If she's going to call for her brother, then we might be riding the carriage at night which is dangerous.

“A-as e-expected.... I should not h-have dragged you w-with me...”

The club on the bottom of her left eye started to fade again and it was replaced with a red diamond.

Does the tattoo in her face change depending on her emotions? 

“It’s okay.” I replied looking at the noon sky. “We had no choice. Time is running out. I have a solution for this. Marry, follow me.”

“Y-yes M-Mareine-san.”

I walked through a place where there were no people. It was far from the Adventurer’s hall so we really walked a long way until we reached the part of the capital where it was forest.

Not really a forest because it's only the 1/8 of the capital, it is more likely to be called an abandoned area.

Some people come here to have some fun or to get some fruits or herbs since there is no monster here.

“Y-you’re not g-gonna murder me h-here, Ma-Mareine-sama r-right?” She asked and she was really scared that I bring her to a place where we're the only people.

My face got dumbfounded for a moment.

“Why would I?”

“E-eto... It's b-because you b-bring me to a s,silent p-place....?” She really was scared. Her mouth was trembling.

Emotion changed, I looked at the bottom of her left eye to see the diamond change, but it didn't.

Then, it's not connected to her emotions?

“Don't worry. I won't do such things.” I answered then started to prepare to summon.

“K-kyaa!”

I was surprised when Marry shouted. When I glanced at her, the two dolls who were on my back the whole time were floating closely to Marry like it was inspecting or something looking closer at her.

“Hey, two dolls. Come back here.” I don't know their name so I just say something about their appearance. 

The two dolls seemed to listen to me and they came to me immediately.

Marry was really terrified.

“Are you okay Marry? Don't be scared I won't hurt you and the dolls won't either.” I rest assured of her.

“.....O-okay..”

I sigh a bit then look back to where I paused.

“Show yourself my puppet! Pegasus!!” I shouted then a magic circle followed.

A white horse with wings and a sheen horn appeared in front of me.

“I-is that... A pegasus?!!” 

Marry slowly regained her composter and she was surprised to see a horse with wings.

“Yeah, it is.”

“B-Beautiful! M-my grandfather used to have one..... I never get to see it this real close...!!” She said.

“Ah, okay...?” I don't know how to respond to her now that she's not shy or fidgeting anymore.

“C-can I t-touch it...?” She pleaded.

“No problem. We will be riding this Pegasus anyways.”

“R-really....?”

“Yes, that's why don't be scared about me anymore.”

“I won't anymore!”