Chapter 2: Meet O

Hilltop, TX2 Years Later

Hilltop, TX
2 Years Later

Oil reigned king in the city of Hilltop

Oil reigned king in the city of Hilltop. A recent boom in oil caused the city to see an unprecedented growth in population, jobs, and infrastructure.

The school district now had a new gym funded by the petroleum company, but Hilltop's skies were now hazy with smoke from the refineries.

Much to the detriment of the police department, crime was also on the rise.

Detectives Holden Lahr and Vicki Cruz stood to the side as a group of police officers surveyed the crime scene in front of them. Holden popped a stick of nicotine gum in his mouth, earning a raised brow from his partner.

He shrugged. “I’m trying to quit. Mandy said she won’t marry a man who always smells like cigarettes.”

Vicki smiled at the mention of her partner’s girlfriend. “I knew you’d like her. If she agrees to marry you, you can thank me with an expensive bottle of wine for introducing you two.”

Holden shook his head. “Yeah, yeah. I owe you one. Who knew I'd fall for a yoga instructor?"

Dr. Leonard Woods, the medical examiner, wiped sweat from his forehead with a white handkerchief. He gave the corpse one last look before pushing himself up into a standing position.

“What do we have, Doc?” Holden asked.

“A grisly murder is what it looks like to me,” Dr. Woods answered. “Murderers have absolutely no consideration. They should only kill in winter. It’s too hot to be out here on a day like this.”

Vick nodded in commiseration.

“I doubt anyone thinks of the weather when they’re planning to take a life,” Holden said wryly.

“How long has he been dead, Woods?” Vicki asked.

“Considering the heat, I’d say about two days,” the medical examiner answered. “You won't like this, but I found something.” He motioned for them to step closer as he bent down and turned the victim’s hand over. Emblazoned on his right palm was a circle.