Chapter 7: Apologies and Cupcakes

Lucy stared at Jake while he dug his bowling bag out of their closet

Lucy stared at Jake while he dug his bowling bag out of their closet.  They'd been polite to one another since their disagreement the night prior.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asked, already knowing the answer.

"Bowling. You know I go every other Wednesday night. Are you sure you don't want to come?" Jake checked his bag, not showing a real interest in her answer.

Lucy swallowed the knot of unease stuck in her throat. It felt like they hadn't really resolved anything. Apologies were sometimes like antacids-- they treat the immediate symptom but not the underlying issue.

"No. Bowling isn't my favorite sport. Besides, Donna and I are making cupcakes for the church."

Jake sighed and walked over to Lucy. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, drawing her close. "I really am sorry about yesterday, Luce."

Luce.

He always called her that instead of Lucy when he was apologizing. Like skipping the extra syllable would make her name turn into an endearment.

She gave a weak smile and slowly hugged him back. "I'm also sorry. I shouldn't have taken Dillon to the bumper cars. That's our thing. I also should've called Donna for help."

He kissed her temple and smiled. "How about tomorrow night, we go to Mario's. Just you and me?"

"I'd like that."

Jake released her and headed to the door. "I'll be back later. Call if you need me."

Despite her dislike for bowling, she wished she could go with him but it was an all men's league and none of the wives or girlfriends attended. It would be uncomfortable if she went as the only female.

Lucy's phone rang and she saw that it was Dillon. She sighed as she thought how their innocent time together was the basis of her and Jake's argument.

"Hey, Dillon. What's up?"

"Hey, Lucy Goosey. I planned to invite you to have dinner with me but I'm going to be really busy tonight," Dillon said. Lucy could hear loud noises in the background.

"Are you at a club or something?" she asked.

"No, why do you ask?"

Lucy laughed. "Uh...because it sounds like you're at a club."

"Nope, not a club. It is something similar but not quite. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I can't hang out tonight. I figured you were thinking of me and if you weren't you should be."

Lucy frowned. Was Dillon joking or flirting?

She decided to take it as a joke. "Can you get any more full of yourself? So, you just called me to tell me you were going to have a fun night but I wasn't invited?"

"Pretty much. I didn't want you to show up to my loft unannounced or anything."

Lucy rolled her eyes. "Dillon, have I ever shown up to your place unannounced?"