Chapter 19: Save Me

Yours until death

Yours until death.

Yours until death.

Yours until death

Three simple words reverberated through Lucy's mind as everything went dark. In the distance, she could hear someone faintly calling her name. She thought of O's victims. Perhaps they had been watching over her as she read about their deaths. Perhaps they were the ones calling out to her, wanting her to join them on the other side. The thought made her slightly happy.

Inside Lucy's home, Detective Lahr glanced out the glass doors that lead outside and looked at the pool where he had last seen Lucy. He frowned.

"Have you seen the homeowner?" he asked the officer next to him. The officer shook his head and Holden walked outside towards the pool. He saw her cell phone at the edge of the pool and looked in the water.

"Call an ambulance!" he shouted as he dove in.

Moments later, he dragged an unconscious Lucy out of the pool. He laid her out on the ground as Vicki ran forward.

"What the hell happened?" she asked as another officer was requesting an ambulance.

Holden ignored his partner and tilted Lucy's face up to check for breathing. He lifted her chin and pinched her nose before attempting to give her mouth-to-mouth. Then he pressed the base of his palms into her chest. He repeated the motions until Lucy coughed out some water. She continued to cough and then looked at Holden.

"Hello there," he whispered as he still hovered over her. Lucy opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Instead, her eyes rolled to the back of her head, scaring Holden who shouted, "Where's the ambulance?"

Forty-five minutes later, Lucy found herself waking up in a hospital room, groggy and unaware of what was going on.

"Lucy?"

She turned to see Holden sitting by her bed. She looked around the room before asking, "What happened?"

"You don't remember?"

She gave a slight shake of her head and he answered, "You almost drowned in your pool."

Lucy looked at the police sweats he wore, which were two sizes too small, instead of the business casual clothes he normally wore.

"You saved me?" she asked.

Holden looked away and instead of answering her question, he asked, "Why did you jump in the water, Lucy?"

"What?" she asked, her voice almost inaudible.

"I don't know what's going on with you, but something doesn't add up. I saw you at the club. You smelled like booze. You start calling the cops because someone is harassing you. You suddenly turn in some journal and claim that it's from O and then when the cops get to your house, you try and drown yourself."