Chapter 6: The Walls We Build

Lucy stood in front of the meatloaf she prepared for dinner, her thoughts on the secret journal tucked safely away in its hidden compartment of her new desk

Jake would be out of the shower soon. She wanted him to enjoy the dinner she made but she couldn't stop thinking about Dillon's brother and his murderer.

It couldn't be a coincidence.

"What's that delicious scent?" Jake asked, wrapping his arms around her waist. She could smell his shampoo.

Lucy forced her dark thoughts back and focused on her boyfriend. "It's meatloaf and I didn't burn it. Aren't you proud of me?"

Jake kissed the side of her neck. "I think the delicious scent is you but the meatloaf smells pretty tasty too."

She turned around and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I'm glad you're home. I missed you."

He pulled her in close and kissed the tip of her nose. "I bet I missed you more."

Lucy hoped that was true. At times, she felt like her feelings were stronger than Jake's and that worried her. Would he leave her once he learned the truth about her-- that she was broken? What else could she be after everything she went through as a teen? Depending on alcohol to numb her pain shouldn't have been a surprise.

"Good," she said with a smile. "If you missed me more, then you'll come home sooner."

Jake chuckled. "So, what did you do while I was gone? Catch me up."
He pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

For a second, she wondered if she should tell him about the journal.

"I found a diary of a murderer. To prove to myself it was real, I broke into a junkyard and found a dead body."

No, she couldn't tell him that. He'd ask why she hadn't shared the journal with the police, wouldn't he? Then, he'd know something was wrong with her because what type of person keeps that kind of information hidden?

Lucy couldn't explain it to herself much less another person.

Instead of telling him the truth, she kept her answer simple. "Nothing much on my end. I went to a meeting with Donna. I tried cooking some new dishes but they burnt."

"At least you tried," Jake said softly. "We could eat pizza every day and I'd be okay."

"So would I but my hips wouldn't like it," Lucy admitted. "That reminds me, I went to Mario's with Dillon."

The hands on her back tensed. Jake's eyes narrowed. "What?"

"I should've mentioned it earlier but he called me in a panic. I thought he might relapse."

Jake looked at the meatloaf on the stove. "Is he okay?"

"I think so."

He exhaled slowly. "Lucy, if Dillon almost had a relapse, why didn't he call his sponsor? Why did he call you?"