Chapter 13: A Dangerous Situation

Lucy stuck a price sticker on an old lamp

Lucy stuck a price sticker on an old lamp. She'd been helping Donna price stuff for the upcoming sale to help raise funds for one of O's victims. Lucy's eyes lingered on the door.

"Is everything okay?" Donna asked her. "You keep staring at the door."

"Sorry. Everything's fine. I'm just wondering if we were going to get more big ticket items. It's easier to make money that way."

"Well, Harry said he had a few families planning to donate some old dressers and tables," Donna answered. "I hope it doesn't rain too much today. Otherwise, no one will come out tomorrow. It'll be too muddy."

Lucy gave a sigh of relief. She really wanted to talk to ask Harry about the old desk she found the journal in. She looked out the window and grimaced.

She didn't care for rainy weather. When you had to start walking to bus stops, rain became a nuisance. "Yeah, I hope it doesn't rain too much either."

Twenty minutes later, Harry came rambling through the doorway. Donna smiled at Lucy. "The furniture is here! Hopefully he got some good items we can sell to really help that family out."

"Hi, Donna. I got a few tables and even an old dresser," Harry said as he came forward holding a pair of old table lamps. "It's starting to sprinkle so the boys are gonna hurry and unload in here."

Lucy watched as Harry and a couple of his friends carried the furniture in. She stepped closer to him and cleared her throat. "Harry, do you remember that rummage sale we had a few weeks back?"

He nodded. "Sure. Donna asked me to pick up as many donations as we could."

"Well, I'm asking you about it because I actually bought an old desk from the sale but I was wondering where it came from," Lucy explained.

"An old desk?" Harry asked scratching his head as he tried to remember.

"It's really old. Almost like an antique."

"Hmmm...if it's an antique it must've come from the old Forester Estate."

"Forester?"

Harry nodded. "We picked up a lot of old furniture from an estate sale. The owner was Camilla Forester. Such a shame. She died all alone."

"She didn't have any children?" Lucy asked.

Harry shook his head. "She had a daughter but she lives in Chicago with her husband. Camilla was all alone except for the neighbor's boy. He always visited her. She used to call him her adopted grandson. Her daughter asked for everything that wasn't sold at the estate sale to be donated to the church."

"You said she died alone but the neighbor boy was around, right?"

"As I recollect, he moved away several years ago. He stopped visiting her as much. Poor Mrs. Forester was all alone these past few years."