Chapter 17: Cry For Help

"Hello? Ma'am are you okay? I tracked down your cellular device and the police are on their way

"Hello? Ma'am are you okay? I tracked down your cellular device and the police are on their way. Ma'am are you alright?" Lucy's rapid breathing drowned the sound of the 911 dispatcher's voice out. She heard sirens in the distance. She then heard someone shouting for her to open the door, followed by two officers running towards her.

"Are you alright?"

Lucy looked at the officer, who was telling her to stay calm and take deep breaths with him. Lucy saw the other officer talking into his CB Radio and looking around the room.

As Lucy's breathing calmed, the officer asked again, "Are you okay?"

Lucy nodded. "I'm sorry...I don't know what just happened. I was so scared. He was in my house."

"Who was in your house?"

Lucy shook her head. "He was here and he turned off the lights and then he threw that brick through my window."

The second officer was standing by the brick. He read the note. "I found you."

"Is that what it says?" the first officer asked.

"Yeah. Do you know who might have done this?" the second officer asked Lucy. 

"I...I don't know," Lucy lied, shaking her head. 

The officers looked at one another. The second officer cleared his throat before saying, "I'm going to do a walk-thru of the house to make sure everything is okay. Alright?" 

Lucy nodded, her arms wrapped around herself.  

Twenty minutes later, the officers had finished checking her home  and had taken her statement.

"Lucy! Lucy where are you?" Jake's voice was loud and clear. Lucy immediately relaxed and ran into his arms as he came into their house.

"I saw the police cars outside. What happened? Are you okay?" His eyes scanned her figured before he pulled her back into his arms.

One of the officers interrupted, "Do you live here, sir?"

"Yes, I'm her boyfriend. We live together. Why?"

The officer answered, "Is there anyone that might have left you the message, 'I found you' for any reason?"

"I found you?" Jake repeated, confusion in his voice. 

"Yes sir."

"No. No one comes to mind."

"Okay. We'll be out of your hair in just a few minutes." The officers walked back to the study to take the brick with them as evidence and take some pictures.

"This is insane," Lucy groaned in frustration. "Jake, I tried to call you."

"Did you? I'm sorry...my phone ran out of battery."

Lucy held on tighter to Jake. "It was so scary. Someone broke in Jake. I turned all the lights on and they turned them off after I went into the study. Then they broke the window."