Chapter 12: Bad Decisions

Holden awoke next to a woman he didn't know

Holden awoke next to a woman he didn't know. A fission of panic ran through him as he realized it wasn't his girlfriend, Mandy.

He closed his eyes and remembered the woman from the night before. Her blonde hair covered a soft pink pillow case he didn't recognize. His eyes darted to his clothes on the floor and the door to her bedroom.

She turned over and opened her eyes. "Good morning handsome."

Holden guessed she didn't remember his name. It made things fairas since he didn't remember hers. He cleared his throat.  "G'morning."

He stood up and reached for his boxers. "Thanks for last night."

"That's it?" she asked, disappointed.

A corner of his mouth tilted upward. "What else did you expect?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe some breakfast? An arrangement to meet again. That sort of thing," she complained as she began to get dressed as well.

Holden had his back to her and grimaced. He checked his watch before turning his head to see her smoothing down her hair. "Yeah, I'm going to get some breakfast. Did you want coffee or juice?"

"Juice, please," she said smiling at him, the petulant tone from earlier now gone from her voice.

"I'll be right back," Holden said as he checked for his wallet and keys.

"I'll be waiting," she called out to him as he exited her apartment.

"Yeah, you will," Holden mumbled as he pulled out his phone and blocked her number. She hadn't been any help in getting information on Deidra Hamilton, the Jacuzzi victim. When he tried to cut their dinner short, she insisted on him coming over.

He should've declined but he let her convince him otherwise. He sent a quick text to his girlfriend, letting Mandy know he would be working a double-shift. She immediately texted him a message to get some rest when he could.

Holden stopped at a coffee shop and picked up a coffee for himself. He called his partner, Vicki Cruz.

"Hey, Cruz. Any news?"

"Nada. Did you get any information on Deidra Hamilton?" she asked.

"Nope. I struck out too. Although," he said as he thought of Dillon, "I may have a lead that I can follow up on."

"Well, follow up quickly. We need to catch this guy."

Holden took a sip of his hot coffee and hung up the phone. He thought about the woman he left behind that morning and wondered how long it would take for her to realize he wasn't coming back.

"I'm such a jerk," he hissed, thinking of Mandy. Vicki would kick his ass off she found out he'd cheated on her friend. It wasn't even the first time. Holden shook his head and headed to his apartment to shower before going to work.