Chapter 3: Cherry Red Hiding Places

The Hilltop police station was abuzz with conversation

The Hilltop police station was abuzz with conversation. Detectives Holden Lahr and Vicki Cruz sat at their desks discussing the latest murder victim.

"Charice Spencer was last seen alive at a bar out on Main. I talked to the bartender but he didn't remember her. The only person who thinks she looked familiar was the bouncer," Vicki said while tapping a pen against her desk.

"No one saw Charice at the bar but the bouncer?" Holden asked, grimacing at his cold mug of coffee.

"He's the only person who vaguely remembers her. Why is it always so easy for cops on TV shows? Everyone always remembers the victim. Especially the bartenders," Vicki muttered.

"Well, we're back to square one with this case." Holden sighed, leaning back in his chair while pressing his palms into his eyes. "We need to figure out what the pattern is."

"Do you know what the bouncer told me?" Vicki asked as she began looking through crime scene photos again.

"No. What did he say?"

"He said she kept looking over her shoulder like someone was watching her. He said she even stumbled and fell because she was looking back." Vicki raised an eyebrow. "I guess his memory of her wasn't so vague afterall."

Holden leaned forward, resting his elbows on his desk. "Now, that's strange. If you thought someone was following you, why would you wait in line to get into a club?"

"I don't know. That's a very good question."

"There has to be some kind of connection between the victims and we're just not seeing it," Holden said as his eyes glanced at the pictures Vicki continued to study.

He pushed himself out of his chair and growled in frustration. "I think you were right."

"I'm always right," Vicki joked. "What am I right about this time?"

"I think he's trying to throw us off course. He wants to confuse us."

Vicki nodded. "I agree. Whoever this killer is, he's smart. For all we know, he's been killing people long before we started finding bodies."

The thought made Holden shudder. "I hope not. If that's the case, we won't be dealing with a serial killer.

Vicki frowned in confusion. "Not a serial killer? Who would we be dealing with?

Holden picked up a photo and grimaced. "We'd be dealing with the Devil himself."

"