Chapter 8: Help Needed

Lucy stood in the crowd of gawkers watching Holden talk on his cell phone

Lucy stood in the crowd of gawkers watching Holden talk on his cell phone. She tried hiding behind a group of men leaving a gentleman's club called Tail of the Pussycat.

Thes club sat off the main highway that ran through Hilltop. During the day, this area of town looked innocent enough, but at night it showed its true colors with Neon lights flashing the depravities each merchant offered.

Lucy sighed, she couldn't get a good view of what was going on. She had to stay hidden if she didn't want Holden to know she disobeyed him by leaving the car. 

A woman standing in front of the crowd gasped. "Her hand had a letter 'O' on it!"

"O? Like the serial killer in the newspaper? Are you sure?"  A wave of murmuring surrounded Lucy.

She managed to push her way through the crowd until she stood in front of everyone. She needed to see it for herself. She had to. Lucy stepped forward and caught the attention of Holden. She saw him curse under his breath.

The sound of sirens approached and Lucy heard him shout, "I told you to stay in the car!"

The crowd looked around to see who he was shouting at when the police officers arrived. Lucy sidestepped them and watched as they began to check the scene. Holden stood up and walked towards Lucy as another officer began to secure the crime scene.

"I guess staying in the car was a bit too much to ask for? You always seem to be in the middle of trouble," Holden chastised.

"Sorry, I wanted to know what happened but I'm just a bystander this time," Lucy said, defending herself.

Holden sighed and nodded. "I'm sorry but this might be awhile. Did you want to call someone to pick you up? Or I can get an officer to take you home."

"Was it him?"

"Him who?" Holden asked, frustration seeping from his voice.

"O."

The look of surprise on his face answered her question. "How did you know that?"

Lucy shrugged. "It's only what anyone would guess. It was him, wasn't it?"

Holden scratched the back of his head. "Let it go, Lucy. This is for the police to worry about. I'm sorry about this. I'm the lead detective on the case, so I can't go. Like I said earlier, did you want to call someone or have me ask another cop to take you back?"

Lucy realized he didn't directly answer her question and asked, "How long will this take?"

Holden gave her a strange look and answered, "I don't know. An hour or two?"

"I'll wait."

"Wait?"

Lucy nodded. "I'll wait for you to finish and then you can take me back."