Chapter 5: Guilty Conscience

Lucy stood outside Dillon's loft

Lucy stood outside Dillon's loft. She had knocked several times but he didn't answer. She pulled out her cell phone and tried to call him.

After a few rings, he picked up.

"Lucy?"

"What's going on, Dillon? Are you alright? You called and asked for help but then hung up on me."

"Sorry," he said, sounding out of breath.

"Are you sick or something?" Lucy asked.

"Was that you knocking? I'll be right there."

Lucy waited at the door until it swung open to reveal her friend. His hair looked disheveled and his clothes were covered in red paint. His pale and bloodshot eyes were startled Lucy.

"What's going on?" Lucy asked pointing to his stained clothing.

Dillon stepped to the side to allow her in. Despite his worn appearance, he a note of excitement filled his words. "I want to show you something."

"I'm not sure if I want to see it," Lucy muttered, eyeing him with wariness.

Dillon gave a half smile and led her to a corner in his living room. White sheets covered the floor and a large canvas sat on an easel. Splattered across a red background Lucy saw a picture of a young man on the ground with the numbers 1001 scrawled in the corner.

Her brows knitted together in confusion.

A year ago, Lucy started buying art supplies in an attempt to begin painting. She even took an art class at her local community center. She remembered the art instructor telling the class, "Never ask, 'What is this?' students. Instead, say, 'This is interesting. What do you call it?'"

Lucy hadn't been a good art student because she didn't have the patience or the talent.

"Is he sleeping?" she asked, pointing to the man on the ground.

Dillon stared at his painting as if he were in some kind of trance, his eyes wide. "You could say that. He's sleeping the eternal slumber."

"Dillon, you're starting to freak me out. Why did you call me over? Should I call Donna?"

Donna had more experience in dealing with emergencies than Lucy and she had a closer relationship to Dillon.

"No, I don't want her to know. She won't understand. I need your help, Lucy. My sponsor is out of town and I didn't know who else to call."

"What?" Lucy jerked her head back in surprise. "Have you been drinking?"

"No," he answered, his voice rough with emotion. "But I want to. I really want to, Lucy."

"You've been sober for what...five years? What's bringing this on?"

"An anniversary of something. I've been painting to keep my mind off of things but it's not working."