Chapter 15: Tell Me the Truth

Jake laid in bed with his face tucked in the crook of his elbow

Jake laid in bed with his face tucked in the crook of his elbow. Beside him, Lucy gnawed at her bottom lip, debating how she should tell her boyfriend about the journal. Despite her resolution to tell him about the secret diary, Lucy hadn't yet done so.

"Jake, are you awake?" Lucy whispered.

"Hmmm..." he mumbled, turning over.

"I need to talk to you about something," Lucy continued.

"Can we talk about it later, babe? I'm so tired."

Lucy sighed. "Yeah. I guess we can."

Jake opened one eye and stared at her. "You gave up easily. Something's wrong. What is it?"

"Gave up easily? What are you talking about?" Lucy tugged at the edge of the blanket.

"Normally, if I say no you try to change my mind. You just totally caved right now. So, what's wrong?" Jake sat up with a groan.

Her eyes darted away and she cleared her throat, still plucking at the blanket's fabric. "I just wanted to know if you had to go bowling tonight."

He gave her a disbelieving look. "That's what you wanted to ask me?"

She nodded.

"I call BS. What's going on, Luce?"

She gave him a weak smile. "Jake, do you think I make bad decisions?"

He moved so that his back sat against the headboard. "Bad decisions? Where is this coming from so early in the morning?"

"I'm just curious what you think. Do you think I make bad decisions?"

Jake frowned before rubbing his face with the fleshy part of his palm. "I wouldn't say you make bad decisions but sometimes you make poor choices."

He scratched his chin as his half-open eyes gazed at her.

"Doesn't that mean I do?" Lucy groaned. "You're trying to confuse me with semantics."

"Well, how do you want me to answer, Lucy?"

"With the truth!"

"Okay, fine. I'll tell you what I really think," Jake said in a warning tone.

Lucy nodded and cracked her knuckles. "I'm ready."

Jake shook his head in laughter. "I think you make rash decisions. I think you sometimes rush into things without really thinking about the consequences. And before you start feeling bad-- don't. Because everyone does that. I repeat-- everyone does that. Myself included, Lucy. I don't always think things through. It's part of the reason I love you. You aren't this anal person who's always fussy about unimportant crap."

When she didn't respond, he asked, "Are you mad?"

"No, but now I have another question."

"Lord, help me." Jake slid under the covers.