Chapter 21: One Night Stand Murder

The ride to the hotel was uncomfortable

"Are you mad at me?" Jake kept looking at her as he drove.

"I'm fine, Jake. Pay attention to the road," Lucy said, her cool tone indicating she was anything but fine.

"I'm sorry, Lucy. I thought it was just some random prank. How was I supposed to know it would happen again?"

Lucy shook her head. "You couldn't have known." She turned her body away from him and stared at the window. She touched her lips and thought of Holden. Why had he kissed her? Why didn't she push him away?

"You keep saying you're fine, but you seem pissed so tell me what's going on. Why are you angry?"

"You tell me first. Why was your phone off?"

"My phone? Oh, my phone. Well, it hasn't been working."

Lucy rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah? Did you get it fixed? I guess you must've since you got Donna's messages."

Jake cleared his throat. "Yeah. It was just a battery problem. Listen, I swear I would've never left you alone if I thought you were in danger. I love you! I wouldn't want to lose you. You know that, right? Please tell me you know that."

"Was there an emergency at work?"

"What?" Jake turned into the hotel parking lot.

"I asked if there was an emergency at work," Lucy repeated.

"Why are you asking me that?"

Before Lucy could answer his question, he opened the door to his truck and pulled out their luggage for the night. He had gone back to their house and packed some clothes for the both of them.

Lucy followed him. "Because I called George and he didn't seem to know anything about an emergency!"

Jake looked around as a few other people looked in the direction of Lucy yelling. He lowered his voice and said, "Will you calm down? People are staring."

"I don't care if people can't mind their own business and want to stare at me!" Lucy shouted while looking at the people Jake referred to.

"You don't care but I do. Stop yelling."

"Why? So, you can try and change the subject? Why didn't George know about the emergency?"

"I don't know, Lucy. George is an idiot!" Jake yelled the last part, forgetting the warning he had just given Lucy about yelling. "Why would you even call him anyway?"

"Because I couldn't get through to you!"

"Then leave a message for me and I'll get to it. That's what normal people do. They don't call everyone they can think of and stalk their boyfriends!"

"Then you must not have had many serious girlfriends!" The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them.

Jake laughed and shook his head. "I'm sorry. I don't know why George didn't know about what was going on at work. You can ask him later if you want."