meet the little princess

** Sunday April 2nd, 2017 - baby 0 days old/ 39 weeks pregnant **

- Taylors Pov -

"Does this little girl have a name yet?" The person from peds asks and I nod. "She sure does. This is out little Estelle Marjorie Alwyn" Joe was the one suggesting that we used my grandmothers name as her middle name. He knows how much I loved her, and how much she influenced how I turned out. When he suggested it I full on ugly cried. Then we looked up names and Estelle just stood out to us. Estelle means star, which is fitting since she is already bringing light into our lives. The plan is to nickname her Elle or Ellie at some point.

I hand her over to Joe, so he gets some cuddles too. When I look at him his eyes are still filled with tears, and it makes me so happy that he seems just as in love with her as I am. It was one thing knowing shew would be here, but now that she actually is it's like I'm riding on a cloud of happiness. She is here and she is all ours. It's both scary and Wonderful at the same time. We are responsible for raising her into a good person and a member of society. No one else is going to do that job for us, it's on our shoulders.

After both of us get some cuddles and the doctor is done with whatever he was doing between my legs the lady from peeds come closer. "I would like to take her now for the newborn screening tests you consented to and those that are mandatory in the state" she says, and I nod.

"Can you tell me what you're doing? The doctor explained it, but I just want to confirm it's the same thing" I ask, and she tells me that they are going to draw some blood to test for the 21 mandatory genetic, metabolic, hormonal, and functional disorders required by law in New York to test for. and we consented to follow the US department of health and human services recommendations of screening for a total of 61 different disorders. It seems excessive, but at the same time I want to know if there is anything that we need to know. If she has something I would rather know right away and make sure she gets the right treatments from day one. They are doing a test for congenital heart disease which is also recommended. A hearing test and a physical examination is also being done. She will get the shots recommended too, the vitamin K and first dose of hepatitis B.

"Okay, you can take her with you" I say, and she slips an alarm around her little foot to give us another sense of security. "I won't leave her side and I will have her back as soon as I'm done" she adds before we lay Estelle in the rolling basinet and let her take her with her.

It sounds like so many tests, but we went with what was recommended because we want to know that she is healthy or if she needs any treatment. Some of the things I didn't even know about that a baby needed like the vitamin K shot. Babies aren't born with sufficient vitamin K levels, so they need the added amount to help prevent a potential life-threatening situation.

"Taylor, you needed two stitches, but they are dissolvable and won't need to come out. But your vagina and perineum need to heal so like we spoke about, no sexual intercourse until after your six-week postpartum checkup. use the plastic squirt bottle to squirt your perineum with warm water during and after urinating. Use gentle patting with sauce pads or paper wipes that comes with the hospital approved sanitary pads after urination. Change the pads at least every four to six hours. Try to avoid touching the site because it can take longer to fully heal. Some women like to expose the area to air to ease pain so that might be something you want to try. Doing your keglers is important to stimulate circulation and help you heal faster, they're also great for muscle tone and may decrease your risk of incontinence.

She also goes on about staying regular with bowel movements and eating right. It might take a few days before I can pass a bowel movement apparently, but eating right will help me along with drinking plenty of water and taking short strolls. If it takes more than a few days, I should call and ask about over the counter medications to help.