new parents

* Sunday April 2nd, 2017 - baby 0 days old **

- joes Pov -

"It's really late, but should we call our families before we attempt to get some rest?" I ask Taylor as I cradle out little Estelle in my arms. She is really tiny, and I'm scared I'm going to break her. At this age they can't even support their own neck, so I need to be extra careful and do that too. One wrong move and I could probably really mess her up, it's terrifying.

"We probably should. Knowing my mom she won't go to sleep before we call her" Taylor says and grabs her phone. we decide to call my parents first because it's the middle of the night there and they need to get some sleep. Just like Taylors parents mine wouldn't go to sleep either even though they have work in the morning.

My mum picks up on the first ring and I come closer to Taylor so all three of us are in the FaceTime frame. "Is that her?!" My mum shrieks and I grin "this is here. Meet Estelle Marjorie Alwyn" I awkwardly hold her up so both my parents can get a better look, and then Patrick comes into the frame too.

"Patrick, you should be asleep. You have school in the morning" I groan at him. "Relax Joe, how could I not stay up for this. I'm going to be her favorite uncle" he should be in bed because he has school, but there really is no point in arguing when he has already stayed up anyway.

My mum asks Taylor all about the birth, so my dad and brother leaves while the women get to talking. I'm so happy Taylor and my mum get along so well. It would be hard if they didn't approve of her, and she was going to be in my life. There is no way in hell I would ever let go of Taylor, but it would make it more complicated to not have my parents' approval.

After we hang up with them, we call Taylors parents and brother on one of those chats with several people since they are all in different places. Taylors parents are divorced but get along well, which I know is a relief to Taylor. Her dad lives in Tampa while her mum still lives in Nashville and works for her at 13 management. I don't know if I could ever work with my parents, but it's always been like that for Taylor and Andrea. Ever since they used to drive down to Nashville and leave her CD with labels it was always here and Andrea doing it, so that probably makes them close in a way I can't quite understand. Her mum went everywhere with her, and as far as I know she is going with her on tour next year too.

"My granddaughter is gorgeous" Andrea has tears in her eyes and it makes Taylor sniffle too. "Mom don't cry, you're going to make me cry and then Estelle cries and we are just a choir of crying women" not to mention that when Estelle cries Taylors boobs leak which I find fascinating. The female body is amazing with how it deals with all that, all the hormones and the maternal instincts. Even if they don't know exactly what to do the body naturally does some things.

By the time we are done talking with them Taylor takes a big breath and snuggle into her pillow. "I'm so tired" no shock since its 1am and she has been in labor since this morning. Earlier she did get a little rest, but no sleep so far, and she really needs it.

"Well Estelle is calm for now, so why don't you try to get some sleep. She will for sure wake us when she is hungry again, and you need to rest" I kiss her forehead and dim the lights in the room so she can get more comfortable. Sleeping in a hospital is hard anyway, but I can at least try to help with what I can.

Looking down at Estelle she is sleeping too so I take her and put her down in the little plastic basinet. Thank god she is still swaddled from earlier because I don't think I can do that yet; Taylor needs to show me. She has tried to explain it to me, and the nurse did it earlier and I saw, but I'm scared I will do it all wrong. I've always thought it looked uncomfortable to be swaddled, but apparently its good for the baby because it makes it feel snug just like it did inside their mother's stomach. In there it was cramped, so being out here now it can unsettle the baby. They need to get used to the new environment while still having the option of a familiar feeling when they need to rest.