𝗔𝘀𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗤𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗜

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

Your first instinct was to cry out for Lumine or Ms. Whopperflower, but you stopped yourself just in time. As much as you wanted to believe that this place was inhabited by friendly squirrels and ducks, you got the feeling that it was silent only because no one knew you were there... yet.

Behind you lay a dead end, a sheer drop into empty space. Following the torches, you started slowly forward, keeping one hand on the wall and one eye on the darkness ahead of you.

I'm scared.

I'm scared. I'm scared.

You forced yourself to keep going, even though every part of your body wanted to stay frozen in place.

I hafta keep going. Otherwise I'll never see my friends again!

Armed with your conviction, you walked until the corridor opened into a vast circular room with twelve dark doorways leading into it. Elegant gold carvings covered the floor, and glowing runes ran up and down the walls. When you tried to read the runes, the letters distorted into squiggles.

In the center of the room, there was a pattern on the floor—a golden ring with dull runes around the inside of it. Unlike the ones on the walls, these runes weren't glowing.

Standing in the center of the ring, you counted the runes. One, two, three, four, five. Another one, two, three, four, five. Then one, two.

What do they mean?

As you were puzzling this out, you heard a familiar noise, and your blood ran cold. "Yaaaaaaa!" "Gusha! Kundala!" Except this time it wasn't just one hilichurl.

It was ten—no, more than that. A hundred? You weren't sure. You couldn't tell. The overlapping voices grew louder and louder.

They're coming from those dark doorways!

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

Swinging a club, the first hilichurl ran into the light. You fled to the opposite side of the room, but another hilichurl emerged from a doorway right behind you, and you had to retreat to the center. The hilichurls followed you—and was it your imagination, or were they much faster than usual?

You shot a bubble at the nearest hilichurl, but without Pyro, your attack barely did any damage.

[127]

BAM! WHAM! Something hit your shoulder, and you reeled with pain, collapsing onto the floor. What seemed like an endless torrent of heavy blows landed on your frail body, even as you tried to shield your face with your hands.