𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟲: 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗱'𝘀 𝗘𝘅𝗲𝗰𝘂𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

Scaramouche didn't take you straight to breakfast (much to your disappointment). Instead, he stopped behind a cluster of bony trees, so close to the campfire that you could smell breakfast cooking. Bacon, eggs, pancakes... your mind filled with tantalizing visions.

"So, I need a favor." Scaramouche blocked your view of the fire. "Are you listening?"

"No." You tiptoed to get a glimpse, but apparently two could play that game, because he stood on tiptoe too. Then, seeming to realize how foolish he looked, he lowered himself down again, a faint blush coloring his cheeks.

"Hey, listen." Annoyance sparked in his eyes. "It's important. I have a mission for you."

Gasp! Mission!

"Okay!" you replied, blinking up at him. You lowered your voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "So what is it, Mister Hat Guy?"

"Mister Hat... Guy?" He sighed, lowering his voice to match yours. "...As you should already know if you have any brains at all, this camp is under my command."

"Mm-hm!"

"Everyone here reports to me. But they don't always report everything," he said bitterly. "Do you get it?"

"Uh... uh?" You peered at him with clueless eyes. "Get what?"

He sighed, pressing a hand to his forehead. "How dense are you? I need you to be my spy. Get close to my subordinates—every last useless one—and tell me anything important you learn."

"You want (Y/N) for a spy? But (Y/N)... isn't big or super strong." Your expression was unreadable.

"That's why you're the perfect one for the job. I need you to—"

In a flash, you hugged him. He froze. You could almost hear the gears in his head clunk to a halt as they tried to process this new emotion.

"Thank you... for trusting (Y/N)..." you whispered, your voice muffled.

Your face was buried in Scaramouche's clothes, so you didn't see the slight smile that drifted across his face. Clearing his throat, he said, "Good. Then let go of me and I'll tell you what I need you to do."

You allowed yourself one more snuggle, and then let go, looking up at him expectantly.

"Besides Agent Volkov, you interacted with two other people at this camp: Rena and Ivan. Do you remember them?"

Hmm... the green-haired lady who tried to steal the Holy Lyre, and Big Brother Ivan!

You nodded.

"They're a problem. They know your face." Scaramouche's eyes darkened as he contemplated the options. "Rena can be dispatched to another unit. She was getting on my nerves anyway... I'll request a new Cicin mage. But as for Ivan... Volkov was his personal mentor. Sending him away will look suspicious, especially right after Volkov died." His gaze slid to you. "I need you to disguise yourself as a new recruit. Keep away from Ivan."

"Keep away from Big Brother Ivan?"

"Yes." He glared at you. "Is there a problem?"