Chapter 15 : The mystery unfolds

"Thus my suspicions came out to be true. I believe he met with the murderer alone and then was got killed here." Yibo sighed.

"Then when did he die?" Xiao Zhan asked.

"I believe he died slightly past 8:30PM when his signal was lost for the first time. And that man who reappeared in the CCTV of convenience store at 9:23PM wasn't ZiXuan, but the murderer himself."

Xiao Zhan didn't know any of these details before, so there were many things that he couldn't understand, yet he didn't stop Yibo. Yibo was sharing his thoughts out of sheer excitement without realising the person in front of him had no idea about the details of the case.

But being intelligent Xiao Zhan grasped the details very soon, a doubt arose in his mind "How could you were unable to recognise your friend from the murderer?"

"He played with human brain" Yibo said "That place was dark. His face wasn't clearly seen. When ZiXuan came at the convenience store at 8:15PM he directly showed his face to the camera. So when the second time a man exactly dressed like him wearing the police cap and a similar bracelet came, although we didn't see his face clearly, we fell for our natural human instincts and assumed unconditionally that it was ZiXuan, which was entirely wrong. But that murderer must be familiar with ZiXuan...he copied his streching perfectly and that letter he had dropped, he must have found it within ZiXuan's pocket."

Xiao Zhan nodded.
Sure! Sometimes human instincts happens so unconsciously that our logical mind couldn't comprehend it.

Yibo continued "I had my first doubt when I watched ZiXuan's body. His bracelet was worn oppositely than usual, the hook was on the opposite side. I figured out that the criminal must had taken his bracelet off from him. Then it dawned on me...the ZiXuan that we saw for the second time in front of the convenience store...was it really ZiXuan or the murderer tried to impersonate him? I took a look at the name of the jewellery store engraved on it and drove to there. The store was far off and it took the whole morning for me but there I found out that this bracelet was a customised one. It had only one piece which was bought by ZiXuan's father 20years ago. No other person can have a similar bracelet like him. This cleared my doubt that the murderer must have worn ZiXuan's bracelet to come in front of CCTV to give us a false impression of ZiXuan."

Xiao Zhan was speechless, he was listening everything attentively. His interests had perked up.

"He wanted to make us believe that Jin ZiXuan was still alive until 9:24PM" Yibo's eyes sparkled "...where as in reality he was already long dead by then. The murderer must have done it to secure his alibi."

"No, wait" Xiao Zhan suddenly interrupted him "How could he have his alibi if he was gone at 9:24PM to fake Jin ZiXuan's presence in front of the convenience store?"

Yibo sighed "Today I myself went to the convenience store to watch the footage again. The employees said that the Police had demanded the originals and they had already provided it and had no further copy. This was strange, the police could never demand the originals from the store, this was illegal. When I pestered a little bit more the owner brought me into his office and gave me a pen drive. He said that although police had demanded the originals he kept a copy to himself for his security reasons. I watched the footage again, and do you know what I found?"

Xiao Zhan's blood was boiling in excitement "What?"

"The footage that we have in the Bureau is tampered. Our footage shows that the fake Jin ZiXuan arrived at convenience store at 9:23PM but in the untampered footage that I watched today shows that man arrived at 8:45PM."

Xiao Zhan's head was spinning. This criminal was way too much cunning.
He was shocked "How can your Bureau have tampered footage?"

Yibo sighed "I've no idea, perhaps we've a mole in our department. He had gone such great length just to secure his alibi. This man must have a strong alibi during 9:23PM to 9:30PM but doesn't have an alibi from 8:30PM to 8:45PM. He must have killed and faked ZiXuan's presence in front of convenience store between 8:30PM and 8:45PM."