Chapter 24 : The Mysterious Man

Director Nie, Ms Deputy Mianmian and Wang Yibo...3 high ranking officers from the City Bureau were sitting across from Yubin. They were taking his statements.

At first he was nervous but for Wang Yibo being there he soothed in a while and then briefed everything about today that he had known, he repeated the same story that he had said previously to Yibo before the Police arrived.

"So you didn't hear the scream at 7:04PM although you were in the lawn that time?" Mianmian quirked an eyebrow and asked directly looking at him.

"I...I...didn't hear anything" Yubin stammered" ...or better to say I didn't notice it. Perhaps I've heard it but I didn't notice it. Anyways I don't know."

Yibo sighed and Mianmian smirked looking down. Director Nie wasn't saying anything, he was just silently watching his subordinates doing the job.

"How long do you know John?" Mianmian asked another question.

Yubin thought a little "Nearly 8 years, I know him since my college days, we were in same college."

"Okay, now let me ask a different question" Wang Yibo scooted his chair nearer "When did you return from USA?"

Yubin's face instantly clouded. He opened his mouth to say something but was instantly stopped by Yibo--

"Don't lie! I only want the truth!" Wang Yibo said in cold voice.

Yubin sighed, he understood that he wouldn't be able to hide it anymore "Nearly half a month ago"
He said in low voice.

"You didn't tell about this to your friends, you didn't return to your home either..." Wang Yibo didn't pull his gaze away from Yubin "...Where were you for that one week?"

"I was at my girlfriend's home" Yubin replied meekly as he lowered his face down "Dating is forbidden for the Wen Family heirs, so I kept it secret from my friends and family."

"Who is your girlfriend?" Mianmian was ready with her pen "Say her name."

Yubin flinched.

He pleaded "Ma'am, can we please not drag her into it? We've already broke up." He sighed "After breaking up with her I stayed 4 days in a hotel and then I went to Xiao Zhan's house."

"We can understand that but we still need her name" Mianmian was still persistent.

"How about I take a guess on her name?" Wang Yibo suddenly spoke out and instantly 3 pairs of shocked eyes fell on him.

"Wang Lingjiao is her name" Wang Yibo said calmly "...And you're that runaway boyfriend of her who fled from her house 2 days prior to her death"

With his words as if a thunderbolt struck the room. Wang Lingjiao was the name of the 3rd victim of C City Serial Killer. Mianmian was shocked speechless, so was Director Nie.

Yubin's eyes rounded "How did you know?"

Yibo just pursed his lips and shrugged but didn't reply him, instead he asked another question
"So you went into relationship with the ex-girlfriend of your cousin Wen Chao?"

The question made Yubin uncomfortable "Their relationship was long lost, they had broken up long ago and she had started her own business setting her cosmetician office at home."
He tried to explain "Our relationship started nearly one year ago when she went to USA, we stayed there together. After one month she returned to this country and I came over several times to meet her, stayed for a few days in her house and then went back again. Nearly one month ago I quit my job at abroad and returned to her permanently, at first she was happy but then she came to know about the rules of Wen Family where datings are forbidden and the heirs have to marry their parent-chosen partners. It made her mad, she thought that I was just using her. I told her that I can try to convince my parents but she didn't listen to me and kicked me out of her house. I went to a hotel and couldn't contact her anymore. 2 days later I got the news of her death from the news but I was so afraid and heartbroken that I avoided to go to the Police. I'm sorry."