Filming

You can support me at patreon dot com/SUSGT

You'll be able to read four advanced chapters.

There's also a seven-day free trial.

____

(Arima Kana POV)

"Action!" The director's commanding voice cut through the air, accompanied by the distinct sound of the clapperboard, marking the beginning of another take. As the camera rolled, the atmosphere in the room grew heavy with anticipation. It felt as if a lifetime's worth of emotions had been condensed into this singular moment, a make-or-break test of my resolve.

My name is Arima Kana, once hailed as a child prodigy, but now deemed yesterday's news by the unforgiving internet. Although my career peaked in grade school, I persisted in the industry, clinging to it with unwavering determination until I finally landed the lead role I had been yearning for. I was determined to make this project a success, even if it meant resorting to desperate measures.

Yet, deep down, I knew the truth. I knew that this show was destined for mediocrity, lacking the fundamental elements of compelling acting. Episode 4 had already aired, disappointing the majority of viewers, and its failure had been pronounced.

Even now, it felt like it was too late to salvage anything.

This scene, which should have been a poignant clash between the protagonist and the stalker, was supposed to evoke tears as the girl, starved of love, experienced her first moment of protection. It was a scene that moved me to tears, one I had cherished, reading and rereading it countless times. It was undoubtedly the pinnacle of the manga, and this drama had a chance to be watchable if it hadn't been for the screenwriter's decision to alter the entire sequence.

Yes, you heard me right. The scene, which held the potential to be one of the series' most powerful moments, had been compromised by the director's choice to introduce a character that never existed in the original story. It was a transparent attempt to boost the popularity of the male model.

And that character was the role Aikara was currently playing. Originally an antagonist, he underwent a transformative journey, ultimately becoming an ally to the young woman. Unlike the other additions by the director, this character played a pivotal role in the narrative, drawing immense hatred from fans of the manga. The backlash was directed toward the actor, who eventually quit due to the relentless barrage of hate comments.

Now, with this character involved in the scene, I was certain that the fans would detest the ending. And truth be told, I would be just as disappointed if a beloved manga I cherished underwent such a drastic change, especially in such a crucial moment.

That's why I pleaded with Aikara to join this show, clutching at straws, hoping against hope that he could turn this scene into something remarkable, despite its inherent flaws. Even though his acting was exceptional and a glimmer of hope started to flicker within me, I knew all too well how ruthless the internet could be. I was certain that even with remarkable performances, people would remain dissatisfied solely because of his presence.

In that moment, a question crept into my mind, one that I had fought to suppress throughout my years of relentless dedication. Why had I worked so hard? What had driven me to endure the incessant wave of criticism, dedicating years of my life to improving my acting skills? I had even made enemies along the way, clashing with other child actors and their parents, all for the chance to land a significant role and be recognized for my talent.

Yet, it seemed that all my efforts to achieve that were in vain. Now that I had finally secured a lead role, it was in a drama destined to fail, likely making it even more challenging for me to find work in the future.