Friend

(Ruby POV)

As I stood before the door of my soon-to-be classroom, I could hear the lively chatter of my future classmates on the other side. My fingers fidgeted nervously, betraying the jitters that fluttered in my stomach. My heart pounded, and I took a deep breath, attempting to gather the courage to step inside and make a good impression.

Glancing to the right, I hoped to find Aka-nii by my side, as his presence always gave me confidence. But to my surprise, there was only empty air. Where did he go? Wasn't he just beside me?

Before I could ponder further, Aka-nii's voice echoed from inside the classroom. Instinctively, I looked through the window on the door. There he was, his back turned to me, emitting an aura that made his modest 170 cm height seem towering. He spoke with such enthusiasm that I could hear him clearly even from outside, introducing himself and warmly shaking hands with everyone. He was as friendly with the quiet ones sitting in their seats as he was with those who were already engaged in conversation.

A slight pout formed on my lips as I watched him interact so effortlessly. While I admired his outgoing nature, I couldn't help but feel a tad overshadowed by his social prowess. Nervously, I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to muster the courage to join him.

You can do this, Ruby!

With newfound determination, I straightened my posture, took a steadying breath, and pushed the door open. As I entered the room, my eyes widened in wonderment. The sight that greeted me was like stepping into a scene from a magazine spread – beautiful women and handsome guys engaged in conversations, each adorned with bright smiles that seemed to light up the room. My heart raced with excitement, and I tried to blend in without drawing too much attention.

"It's a whole different world from my middle school!" I whispered to myself, a mix of nervousness and awe swirling within.

I snapped out of my daze as I made my way to my seat. My eyes darted around the room, stealing quick glances at everyone's faces, once again reminding me of how attractive they are.

A hint of a smug grin crept onto my lips, and I felt my cheeks flush with a faint tint of red. Absentmindedly, I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, silently acknowledging that despite being surrounded by seemingly flawless models, I wouldn't be outshone in terms of looks. 

After all, I had Mama's genes coursing through my veins, and I took pride in that fact.

Well, except Aka-nii, I guess. He had always been the most attractive among us triplets. Not because he was born that way, since we all had the same face, but because he put in the effort to take care of himself.

Every night, without fail, he devoted time to wash his face and apply various skincare products. His room was like a treasure trove of beauty products - foundation, concealer, brow pencils, mascara, eyeliner, lip balm, powder, moisturizer – he had it all. In fact, he might have even possessed more makeup than I did!

Unlike me and Aqua-nii, who were content with our natural looks and paid little attention to makeup or skincare, Aka-nii genuinely cared about presenting his best self.

I mean, I'm not going to admit it out loud, but he's kinda prettier and cuter than me... It's just not fair! I should be the cutest sibling among us three!

Lost in a whirlwind of thoughts, I settled into my assigned chair, my mind still preoccupied with thoughts of Aka-nii's captivating features. The contemplation was abruptly interrupted when a high-pitched voice chimed in beside me, pulling my attention away from my musings.

"Hi, I'm Kotobuki Minami. Nice to meet ya," she greeted me warmly, causing me to turn my gaze towards her. As I looked at her, my eyes widened in amazement at what I saw.