Chapter 14: House-Elves & Runes

***

The whole journey to the Great Hall had been a nightmare for Sandy. It wasn't that either boy was bad company. In fact, she knew that under different circumstances, they would likely become close friends. However, James Potter, just like Lily Evans, was a big no. Not only could any little thing cause her close friend to be unborn, but it was Harry Potter. The boy who lived. The chosen one. If she failed at stopping the war here, in the past, it would be up to him. 

So, she gave them some tips for the Patronus Charm (accelerating their success didn't seem wrong), and as soon as she saw the four large tables (even even caught a glance of Rosier), Sandy bolted. It had been discreet, using the crowds to hide behind them, and leave. Neither of them noticed until she was already gone, and they assumed she was still in the Great Hall for some time. However, instead, she chose to go to the kitchens. Thanks to the Weasley twins, she knew the way. Fred and George had found her crying once, during her first year, after being called slurs by Slytherins. So, they had taken her to the kitchens for a cup of hot chocolate to cheer her up. It worked like a charm. Since then, whenever she was upset, missed a meal, or craved a snack, Sandy went to the basement, tickled the pear on the fruit painting, and went in. Sometimes, she'd go there just to converse with the house-elves, of accompany them during their meals.

In her mind, the company of house-elves was always most delightful. However, this had been the first time she had gone since time-travelling. Although she knew that house-elves had a longer lifespan than humans, Sandy would still be surprised to find a lot of familiar faces. They all turned to her in unison once she entered, forcing the blood beneath the skin of her cheeks to flow faster. "H-Hi. Is it okay if I eat lunch here instead of the Great Hall? There's some people I want to avoid there..."

"Of course, Miss. Whatever missy desires." A House-elf she recognized as Cooky guided her to a table with a small smile, and a submissive bow. "Cooky will cook for you. Anything missy desires."

"You can call my Sandy," She added, trying to be polite. Just like her cousin, Sandy detested the treatment most house-elves got. However, unlike Hermione, she did understand that the house-elves of Hogwarts had it good, and did not wish to leave. These beings fascinated her greatly, often wondering about the spectrum of their ancient, wandless magic. It reminded her of Dobby- oh Dobby. "And, thank you. I hope I'm not causing too much trouble."

"No trouble for us, Miss Sandy. A house-elf's duty is to serve."

Then, Cooky was interrupted by another house-elf Sandy recognized; Bilm. "Cooky does not see. Cooky does not know. Miss Sandy is Dumbledore's goddaughter. Miss Sandy is new to Hogwarts."

That made Cooky gasp in surprise, and she bowed her head once more. "Miss Sandy Reese? What an honour! Come, come. We will make the best feast for Dumbledore's goddaughter!"

Her eyes widened in response, and she froze on her seat. Sure, she was used to the smothering of house-elves. It was always very pleasant. However, this was perhaps, too much. "No, no. That's okay. I'm good with something simple. Anything you may have left over from the feast, is great- so long as I'm not taking food from you."

"Miss Sandy is so sweet. But she worries too much." With a snap of her fingers, the house-elf brought food to the table, in a flash. "If Miss Sandy desires anything else, she must say."