Chapter 34: The 'M' Word

***

Chatting with Evan had been... Odd, truly. They had continued beyond werewolf discussion after a while and returned to speak about Muggleborn wizards, and Muggles themselves.  He had listened all throughout their chat, asked questions, and presented his side of the argument calmly... Not what she had expected. However, it occurred to her that perhaps this was because she didn't spend much time with Slytherins before time travelling. After all, her true blood status was Muggleborn (although now she was pretending to be a Half-blood), and whether it was out of fear of discrimination, or out of self preservation, she mostly avoided the individuals from the house of snakes. Now though, with her actively trying to stop one or two of them from becoming Death Eaters, and alter their future destinies, she was becoming more involved with said students, and consequently getting to know more than just their aggressive side. And so, she though, perhaps, they hiss more than they bite.

Unfortunately, that didn't stop her from losing her temper once or twice, when pushed far enough. Nothing had happened to Evan, no. He had not given Sandy any problems during Charms class. It wasn't a class she was struggling, so, being engaged in conversation rather than paying full attention to the lesson was not going to affect her grade this time around. Charms was her best class of all. However, another Slytherin had heard their debate, as he was sitting right behind them, and kept on making side remarks every now and then. Once the lesson ended, despite Sandy's multiple attempts at being civil with with him, she ended up pulling out her wand in the hallway. There had been a particular spell she had created for Draco, but never got to use... Until now. 

The boy laughed, stating that nothing had happened, and for a moment, Sandy believed he may have been right. Still, she held her head high and walked away. Class after class, she refused to let her mood go down (continuing to avoid Sirius as discretely as possible too), until going to the common room. As she studied with the girls on the table, hearing the Marauders and the Prewett twins playing Exploding Snap by the fireplace, Professor McGonagall came with a stern look on her face, and Sandy knew... Her charm had worked. "Miss Reese! What is this I hear about you cursing mister Mulciber?"

Everyone's heads turned to her, and she swore her cheeks must have turned as read as Fabian, Gideon and Lily's hair. Nevertheless, Sandy tried to play it cool, and shrugged through her embarrassment. "Cursed? How do you mean?"

"The boy's tongue is covered in sores all over!"

"Oh... That." A nervous laugh escaped her, with all eyes still on her. "If you mean I casted a jinx of my own making that creates a sore in the tongue each time he uses the M word, well... I have no idea what you're talking about... And, I most certainly have not made a counter jinx to fix that either..." She then released the most innocent looking smile she could muster, even though Sandy was well aware that both the professor, and everyone else around her knew she was lying through her teeth. Speaking off those bystanders, Sirius whistled before letting out a chuckle at Sandy's response. 

Minerva McGonagall, on the other hand, pursed her lips together. If anyone payed close enough attention on those, however, one would notice something peculiar trying to fight through her stern look. And that was an amused smile. Trying to cover it up, she let out a cough and rose an eyebrow. "And did you attempt to vocally and respectfully get him to change his vocabulary before casting said jinx, miss Reese?"