Chapter 17: Shortcake

***

The weekend had gone by, and Monday started around. It seemed everywhere she tried to go, either the three girls, or the two boys were breathing down her neck, not allowing her time for privacy (or to avoid them). To be fair, she already knew of how stubborn Gryffindors could be, and how their chivalry could often have them feel the need to go to aid any helpless case. 

Thankfully, none of them knew how to get to the Room of Requirement, nor how she was getting there in the first place. However, each time she went there to escape, she'd have to loose their trail first. Having Lily's arm liked around her own, or Sirius' over her shoulders did make this more complicated. Anything and everything that the Weasley twins had taught her came in handy. Small explosions, sneaking around like a mouse, diversions, anything. 

In classes, however, it was harder to avoid them. Any and every time she sat down, one of them took a seat beside her. Unfortunately, it was not just them she had to deal with. Speaking of which, as she sat down to have lunch, a certain Slytherin approached her with a grin, and sat down to her right. "Hello there, shortcake. I haven't seen you much since Friday. You're not avoiding me, are you?"

Truthfully, Sandy had been too busy with the Gryffindors to even think about Evan Rosier. "I've been avoiding people in general. But no one seems to get the hint that I just want to be left alone." All the while, she didn't raise her head from her book, as she ate. Deep down though, she had to admit, his presence made her quite uneasy. Surely he wasn't really as okay as he claimed with loosing against her in the duel. And besides the point, 

Evan clucked at her bluntness, and nodded. "Yes, well, you're kind of enticing, shortcake."

"I'm not bloody short!"

"You are," Not even a second after Sandy's protest did he disagree. "But it doesn't impact your talent nor your beauty."

Dropping her book on the table, she glared. However, she could feel the heat generating in her cheeks. "Are you flirting with me?"

"Am I not obvious enough?"

Contemplating on her answer, Sandy waited a few seconds. This really was a bit of a new situation with her. Back home, she hadn't quite gotten hit on much. She had left after her fourth year, not even having turned 15 (since her birthday was in August 31st). Back then, boys were only starting to notice girls. And then she had to go into hiding and hunting horcruxes. "No, you've been quite obvious. What I don't get us why." Sure, she had crushes. Harry was one of them, which started at the end of her first year, when he cast that Patronus to save his past self (or future for her, technically), and Sirius Black. It had been the most beautiful piece of magic she ever saw. But then he got a crush on Cho, and she realized that, perhaps, it seemed unrealistic for her to like the Boy Who Lived. Likely the most famous person in the world. It would be weird anyways. He was one of her cousin's best friends. So, Neville Longbottom was next, with how sweet of a person he was. A total gentleman too. Still, she never had the courage do tell him anything either, due to the two year gap. 

She was snapped out of his thoughts when Evan snorted. Raising an eyebrow, he leaned closer and teased her. "Modest, I see. You do realize you're only becoming more attractive the more you talk?"