Chapter 57: Attempted Adoption

***

It was suffice to say that her birthday had been a complete and utter mess. Her entire past destroyed. The truth about her altered memories had come out, and her true ones destroyed. Her identity as a Muggle-born disputed (as technically she was actually a true Half-blood and not just as a cover). She felt as if someone had cracked her skull, and scrambled her brains as if to be made into a breakfast dish for a dragon. 

On the bright side, some of her previous worries had been washed away. For starters, there was no version of her mother in this world. While that sounded like bad news at first, she came to learn the implications that came with it. Sandy was tied not to a bloodline, but to Time itself. As a result, she could not be unborn. Speaking of that, since this was a new timeline, it mattered not who procreated with who, as no one would be unborn either. All of those she knew were born in the other timeline, and therefore, this one was allowed to have a different outcome, as it was the reason Fate had brought her here. To change things. There wouldn't be any consequences on Time due to time-traveling of people ceasing to exist, or the hours of the day changing. 

She had also received something from her father (it was still weird to think of him alive). It really was a gift from her other self, whom he and her mother had had a chance to meet before her. Apparently, inspired by the concept of the Two-way Mirrors, the other Sandy had enchanted a pair of compact mirrors that would only work between them, as time-doubles. Sandy had had a chat with her other self, whom she'd chosen to refer to as Cassandra from then on. With now communication from the other time-line, she was able to acquire more information on 'future events' that she had not been privy to before the unexpected time-traveling adventure. 

Lastly, her father had guided her to a vault, hidden in Scotland and locked with a blood-charm, as to ensure only her and other close blood-relations of her could enter it. It held her 'inheritance' locked away since the 11th century. Sandy had yet to really look into it's contents, other than the really old Charm book she had taken, far too consumed with all the information and issues of her birthday. 

As she stated to Professor Dumbledore once returning to Hogwarts, she wanted a few changed made. A series of demands were made on her part, deciding that she was still mad at the man and the situation she was in. While making her list, at the late hours of the night, she received a letter from James' owl. It seemed that on that very same day, hell had broken loose on Grimmauld Place. Both Sirius and Regulus had ran away, taking in by the Potters. Orion and Walburga had not taken this well, and attacked. With the McKinnon's as neighbours, there were far too many wizards and witnesses to the event, and the pair had been not only arrested, but send off to Azkaban after a short trial. Evidence was shown of the two Blacks having used the Cruciatus curse on their children, and as such, that was punishable with a life sentence. It had been a busy day indeed. 

It wasn't until the next day, mid-morning, that Dumbledore had allowed her to leave the premisses, willingly giving her the address to the Potters only then, as she had not known it. Not deeming it appropriate to just enter their Floo Network unannounced (even if she could travel through it thanks to the chimney in Dumbledore's office), not wanting to take a broom, and Dumbledore claiming to be busy, the Knight bus had been her 'only' option for travel. It had been a rocky journey, for certain, as bile rose up to her throat, threatening to scatter over the pavement. Alas, after a few minutes of sitting on the ground, breathing in and out to cease the dizziness that made her head spin, she got back up, marching like a woman on a mission, towards the Potter residence.