Chapter 33: Discrimination Debate

***

It was safe to say she now had mixed feelings about flying. Sirius and James had been making jokes, with the intent of associating it with joy, rather than fear. Still, she felt uneasy about anything related with riding a broom, or a dragon, for that matter. 

Another complication had risen though, which Sandy was unsure how to feel about. It was Sirius Black himself. She knew she liked him as a person. He was brave, faithful, passionate, caring, considerate and supportive. His present and future indicated as such. However, he was also prejudiced to all Slytherins (although she liked to think he was beginning to loosen up about those ideas). Additionally, he was proud, and reckless. Dramatic, for certain. And yet, whenever he got in close proximity, her internal organs went override. 

First, would be her pulse, which she was certain reached speeds only planes should be allowed to. Her breathing quickened too, with her chest rising and falling dramatically. The palms of her hands would begin to sweat, as the heat rose in them. Shivers running down her spine at the mere physical contact. And the feeling in her stomach made her wonder if she wanted to throw up, or she was on her period. Maybe a mix. Something was definitely happening there, possibly moving and growing, fighting to get out. 

At times, she couldn't help but compare it to the panic attack. They were unpleasant feelings, certainly, with too many things in common to that event. In under different circumstances, Sandy would have considered if, perhaps, she was afraid of Sirius Black. Unfortunately, she knew that he was a good person, and someone whom, otherwise to those uncomfortable feelings, made good company. She enjoyed his presence, despite knowing that anything and everything she did could mess up his future (not that it was that great anyways). 

So, this left her in a bit of a pickle. Sandy had a responsibility to the future, and yet, was developing a bit of a crush. A very, very small one, in her opinion, which she could (and had to) easily ignore. When the next day came, she decided that the best way to do that was by ignoring the boy's existence all together. Any excuse she could make, she had already come up for the moment they say each other later in the day. Although for now, she had managed to stay out of sight all morning, both at breakfast and the first few classes (by ensuring to have the nearest seats near her, occupied). Knowing that he had the Marauders' Map (partially invented by him) would potentially make this complicated, but, alas, her plan was currently working. 

Now she was on her way to Charms class, still, with no incidents from either of the Marauders. It was a relief on her part. Like a weight lifted off her shoulders. Until she bumped into a certain boy. Usually, one would speculate that her mood changed due to the body colliding into her's belonging to the boy she was actively trying to avoid. However, it seemed the universe had other plans, and sent her yet another nuisance from days prior. "Sandy Reese, what a surprise! I have been wanting to talk to you for a while now."

"Well, I can't talk now. I'm on my way to class." She tried to rush away, but, unfortunately, her assailant was persistent. 

"Charms, I know," Evan Rosier spoke, taking long strides to catch up. Soon enough though, he was beside her, grinning and completely unbothered by her indirect rejection for a chat. "We have it at the same time. Let's walk together."