Chapter 23: Tears and Sorrows

***

"You will not speak of this to anyone. I will hex you if you do." That was the first thing Regulus said, after the crying subsided. Through red eyes and wet cheeks, he glared at her, trying to recover from his current state. 

Since he had pulled away from the embrace, the duo were a feet apart. From her place, Sandy shrugged, trying not to make a big deal out of what hand transpired. "I wasn't going to anyway."

"Good. But, in case, I will hex you. Several times." The poor boy didn't know it, but he looked like a cute, sad kitten, in Sandy's eyes, as he continued to send her hateful looks. 

"Understood."

It still annoyed him; her short answers, and quick agreements. They didn't feel like those of anyone he ever intimidated. Regulus knew that Sandy genuinely did not seem threatened by him. It was irritating, to say the least. "And-and, as for Barty- I will be there any and every time you're with him. I will be."

Sandy nodded, for she had already agreed to his terms previously. However, it wasn't just to be able to hang around with Barty, but also because it gave her an excuse to do the same with him. Perhaps this could offer her the chance to change both boys' fates. "You've said. And I'm okay with that."

Looking down, he proceeded to mumbled to himself. "Good. Good. Okay, good." Regulus suddenly met her gaze, as if remembering something. "About what I said about Sirius-"

"You want me to look out for him?"

"Huh?" He was truly not expecting that. Shaking his head with tightly closed eyes, Regulus quickly pointed out the oddity of her actions. "I didn't- I didn't ask for that."

"I can do it anyways, and won't tell him or anyone about it." That was her offer, which she knew he'd take. In the short time of knowing Regulus, along with what she had learnt from future Sirius, Sandy could clearly tell the relationship between the two Black brothers was rather complicated. And, she could deduce well enough that when Sirius was due to run away (next Christmas break), this would only get worse. Something had to be done about it. Sandy had to get those two closer, no matter how hard it would be.

Narrowing his eyes, Regulus came to his own conclusion about her behaviour. "You're trying to get into my good graces, so I'll back off about the Barty thing." There was no question in his tone, but rather certainness. 

With his somewhat justified paranoia, I can't say yes, nor can I say no. Carefully, after having though her answer over, Sandy replied. "Not back off, but, be less aggressive about it, sure... Is it working?"

"You are a weird one. Certainly part Ravenclaw." The boy did not want to admit that he would, in fact, be grateful if she watched out for his older brother. Specially considering that he suspected that she didn't like James. 

"You think all Ravenclaw's are weird? But, you're friends with one."

"Two, actually." He corrected, as if it was unconceivable for his other friend to be excluded from the list. There weren't so many people he considered true friends, and these two were among them. "And yes, Barty and Pandora are weird, but in an endearing way. Endearingly weird. You are simply just weird. And suspicious. I don't not like you, but I don't like you either."