Chapter 49: Sweet or Bitter 16

***

That day had finally arrived. The glorious day that rose with the bright sun coming from behind the trees, tainting the once night sky with beautiful pinks, oranges, and yellows, until it finally turned baby blue. Birds sang to announce the new day, reminding everyone what was so special about the sun arriving yet once more. Just the same, the statues and portraits all around the castle had been enchanted by the boy in question the night before. There would not be a single soul, dead or alive, poltergeist or otherwise, whom would not be aware of what November 3rd stood for. The anniversary of the day that the pitiful planet of Earth had been blessed with the birth of the most divine being. 

"IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, BITCHES!!! DOG COMING THROUGH!!!" Sirius Black strutted down the dorm stairs, and made it to the common room, stretching his arms to the heavens, with his pearly white teeth shinning through his tremendously large smile. He pushed anyone who got in his way to the side, striding through the red carpets of the tower with his head held high, and his three best friends trailing behind with sleepy, but jubilant demeanours. Well, all except perhaps Remus, whom rubbed his eyes and tried to tidy his messy bed hair, glaring at Sirius for how loud and abruptly they had been awoken that morning. "I'M SIXTEEN YOU GREMLINS! TAKE THAT!" He shoved a first year to the side so that he could launch on a sofa, with his arms behind his head. 

James Potter looked, quite likely, the most elated at Sirius's announcement, except for the birthday boy himself. With a present hidden behind his back, he pranced to his side, and got on one knee right by the end of the couch. Then, once holding the present high enough for the Black heir to see, James made his own announcement. "I bestow upon tee this offering to the greatest wizard alive, Sir Sirius Black the Honourable, as a token of my faith in your majesty, and a tribute to our forever lasting friendship and brotherhood!"

In response, Sirius sat up, and tapped his chin in contemplation. After deciding this demonstration seemed 'adequate' for a king as himself, he nodded, and pulled out his wand. He swung it from shoulder to shoulder, rising it above James' head, as if bestowing him knighthood for his actions. "Rise, Sir James Potter, the Mischievous, for your token has been accepted. Now, I shall inspect it for its true value." Then, he ripped the present off of his hands, and removed the poorly wrapped paper to get to what was inside. A loud gasp followed, and he held the present high in praise. "I don't believe it! Two-way mirrors?!"

"Yep. That way, when we're in detention and Minnie separates us, or during the holidays when we're far from each other, we can still talk to each other!" At James' declaration, he was quickly engulfed in a tight hug, rising a few inches of the ground for a few seconds, before being released once more. Two-way mirrors were incredibly rare magical objects. It wasn't so much as the price that mattered, but, rather, finding the right people who owned or manufactured them in some dark ally. So, although the present was more than useful, the true sentiment came from the effort it had taken to acquire it. Not that James wouldn't go at any length to bright a smile to anyone's face, much less his best friends. Although, he James was honest with himself, he had persisted in finding these for his latter statement. To know, the second something was wrong, if he needed to storm into 12 Grimmauld Place, and kidnap him. He did prefer the term 'rescue', no matter whether Sirius came willingly or not.