Chapter 29: Stars in the Sky

***

"You want to help me with transfigurations now? James is still in the infirmary." The pair were now seated in one of the Gryffindor common room's tables, with their books, notes and wands out. Well, really, it was only Sandy's book and notes, along with both of their wands. However, this was because Sirius believed he didn't truly need his, to teach her. 

"Yeah, but, I've checked up on him. Its just love-induced sickness. Poppy said it herself." He waved it off, no longer so concerned for his friend. Honestly, it made him rather amused to know that James had fainted at the sight of Lily's smile directed towards him. He was, however, praying to Godric and anyone who would listen, to make sure Lily didn't break his best friend's heart, for today they had seen just how delicate it was. "Lets try the Vanishing spell. It was simple, and this week's work. How far are you with this?"

"Well, I know that its a transfiguration spell that can be used to vanish either animate or inanimate objects 'into non-being', which is basically 'everything'. The incantation is Evanesco, it has a sort of pyramid-like-filling wand movement, and its not actually simple. Professor McGonagall admitted that its one of the hardest spells for the O.W.L.s."

He clapped his hands together with a proud smile, and nodded, thinking this would be easy. "Okay, well, you do seem to know it well. Lets try in practice then."

As she rose her wand, Sandy mumbled to herself. "This is where I'll fail."

"No, you won't. Now, try to vanish that quill. Right there." He placed a quill with a broken tip (and therefore of no longer any use) in the middle of the table. "Show me what chu' got, cuteness!"

With a deep breath, she could feel his eyes to the side of her face. Her hand shook slightly as she rose it in the air, to cast the spell. Sandy double checked with her gaze to her notes and the textbook what the wand movement was, before trying her luck. "Evanesco." Despite her seemingly perfect execution, something wrong happened, as for a moment, nothing seemed to change with the quill. Until it did. Suddenly, it exploded, and got projected onto the ground. The pair went to check out the area by forwards leaning from their spot, only to find half of the quill still present, with the rest seemingly burnt off. 

Sitting back down, Sirius looked between the burnt quill and the girl. "Okay... I see your point now. I don't understand it though."

"Don't understand what?"

"How a girl who can muster a Patronus in the middle of duel does that!" He gestured at the quill with both of his hands, trying to make sense of the situation. Sirius rubbed his nose and shook his head. "I mean... how?"

"Haha, very funny. Are you going to help or make me feel more shitty about how bad I'm at transfigurations?"

"But how?" He whispered with his sights still trained on the quill. Then looking back up, he noticed Sandy's unimpressed glance, and straightened up. After clearing his throat, he  tried to pretend that it was not important. "You know what? That's okay. I've seen worse."

"Not with transfigurations."

He couldn't contain himself, and agreed with honesty. "Nope. I have not. But, that's okay. I'm sure Minnie has seen worse. Either way, I'm gonna help you."