Chapter 20: Girl Talk

***

The boy's help to get her cheering up after the panic attack had been more than successful. If fact, although Sandy did not want to admit it, they were 'better than the Peace of Draught' for her. She laughed until her tummy hurt, and ate enough candy to become cavity ridden. For a few hours, Sandy had forgotten about the fact that she needed to stay away from Harry's parents (including James). Also about how odd it was to meet and get along with younger Sirius so much. Sure, she had found him pleasant back in the day (or rather, in the future), but at that time, he was old enough to be her father. Now, they were (sort of) the same age. He was very funny... and touchy. Not in a creepy, uncomfortable way though. But still, it made her body feel hot all the time. 

So, when Lily showed up again, offering to help her catch up with the day's work, Sandy jumped at the chance to hide away at their dorm. Literally. She practically sprinted up the dormitory stairs. 

As expected from their year's prefect, the redhead was highly academically achieved. She also made for a fine tutor. The pair also found themselves talking about non-school related things, and once more, Sandy let her guard down. Being in Lily's presence should have made her worry for Harry's future. Just like with James. However, it turned out that he (the older spectacled boy) had been the topic of conversation. Lily herself was surprised to find herself asking questions about James.

Nevertheless, Sandy was all for it. She hoped that, perhaps, by painting James in a good light would help counteract any negative effects she may have posed on their future relationship. It was also amusing to find someone other than her be left with scarlet cheeks. They were so red, that Sandy struggled to tell where the girl's vibrant red hair started, and where her skin began. Mary and Marlene were also there later into the girl talk, making sure to play their part to tease Lily. 

It was kind of pleasant to talk about boys. It felt... normal. Alas, they eventually went to sleep, with Lily insisting they needed their rest for next day's classes. Whether it was her motherly nature or her desire to stop being teased talking, Sandy was unsure. Either way, she had learnt that it made perfect sense that it would be the redhead's future self the one, and only person capable of rebounding a Killing Curse with a love spell. Even just among friends, one could feel the warmth of Lily's platonic love a mile away. 

The next morning, they woke up. Sandy found herself realizing that for the first night, she had not felt the need to resort to the Sleeping Draught to sleep in one go, and without nightmares. The second thing she took notice of was- "What in Godric's name...?" Her bed posts were all covered in succulents of all kinds, grabbing onto the wood like poison ivy. Inevitably, she let out a bit of a smile at the sight.

"What are those?" Mary was the first to question, tilting her head to the side as she inspected the one thing that had changed since they feel asleep. 

Lily squinted her eyes at the time-traveller's bed posts. "Aren't those succulents, Sandy?" They shared a silent look of recognition soon enough. "Did you tell anyone else about the succulents?"

"Only you and Sirius."

The redhead rose her hands up in surrender. "Well, this wasn't me... Awww, that's actually so cute of him!"