Chapter 35: Wolfsbane Potion

***

When time for their detention arrived, Sirius and Sandy made their way to Professor McGonagall's office, side by side. Neither had spoken a word halfway through. That was until a certain teenager couldn't hold it in and began babbling. Honestly, Sandy didn't know how he had managed to stay quiet so long. It was deeply uncharacteristic of him. "Don't worry, I'm a master of getting out of detention... Or at least making it fun. Trust me."

Sandy was unnerved by his actions, for he was ruining her plans to stay away from him. And he was completely oblivious to it. That only served to infuriate her further. However, she couldn't show it, no. Technically, the boy was doing nothing wrong. He was even innocent when he was sent to bloody Azkaban. This was all in her head. Or her stomach, with the multiple butterflies erupting from their cocoons every time Sirius spoke. Or breathed. Or brushed his hand with hers. And, unfortunately, he was very touchy 'in a friendly manner'. That meant, more often than not, he had an arm around her when they sat together, played with her hand, or her hair, and all sorts of deeply unnerving, but perfectly innocent things. "Why would you get into detention in the first place?"

"To keep you company, obviously!" He grinned, tilting his head to the side like a confused puppy. The  boy could not comprehend why there was a question in the first place. He and his friends did this for each other all the time. And, indeed, it was quite frequent. They had a rule in their list for friendship, which included that detentions had to be taken in pairs, at least. No friend could ever be left behind. "Detention alone is such a bore. I would Kedavra myself if I had to spend detention by myself. Who would I talk to? A wall?"

"You still could have stayed with the others, planning or executing a prank, etcetera."

Clutching a hand to his chest, Sirius gasped loud enough to attract the attention of every singe portrait in sight. "Is that all you think we do-? Actually, you may be right. Except for the part where we have to take breaks because Remus wants to do his homework. And then the half an hour he spends trying and failing to convince us to do the same. But, still, we have more substance, you know?"

"Is that code for drugs or firewiskey?"

"I feel like I should not be having this conversation with the Headmaster's daughter of all people, so, I'm gonna bail out of it and change the subject." Sirius spoke in a matter-of-factly tone, before sending her a wink. The girl could have sworn her heart had stopped functioning for a good five seconds at that action, at least. This was not good. "You did great with Mulciber. I wasn't expecting that from you, seeing as you were so convinced the snakes were angels. Good on you for figuring out how wrong you were."

Sandy shook her head, trying to recollect her thoughts. This was not the time to have a crush. Quite literally. It was the wrong decade. The wrong timeline. "I didn't say all Slytherins were angels. I said that not all of them are demons... Although I didn't use that word either, actually. I'm not blind to people being racist. However, I choose not to blame an entire house to the actions of a few loud voices. 

They suddenly made it to their professor's class, only to find an additional adult present. Minerva McGonnagal seemed annoyed at the Headmaster's presence, as Sirius whistled at the tension. "Dumbledore here has chosen a detention punishment for you lot. So, I will be retiring to my quarters and catching on the sleep that is constantly being stolen from me." And with that, she walked away, head held high like the queen she was.